Severe GeForce FX 5200 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Let me just run you through my specs first. [thanks in advance if you read it]

Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20 GHz
3.19 GHz, 1.99 GB of RAM
XP professional 2002

Dell, Optiplex GX620 (smallest form)

(ps. I am perfectly happy with everything except my graphics card, game-wise, i checked ww.canyourunit.c.om and found no problems with my RAM ect.)

So here is my problem. Right now i have an 82945G integrated G card. It is terrible so a couple of weeks ago i get a broken laptop off a friend with a GeForce FX 5200 in it so as you might imagine, i want to use it.

One thing is stopping me i believe. My PSU. It is at a discraceful 220W. The thing is there are 4 versions of the optiplex gx620, i have the ULTRA-SMALL-FORM-FACTOR one!! The power is supplied by an AC adapter thing and i have looked online and can't find any higher PSU power supplies for my particular computer.

I Really want to game (sims 3, rome total war, oblivion, left4dead ect.) but cant because of my shitty graphics card so here are my questions:

Is it even physically POSSIBLE to stick the 5200 in my comp??

Would it be retarded doing so?

Are there any higher power supplies for my comp? [include link please]

Any side recommendations??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
MY PSU box thing ( around 15cm x 7cm ) actually says "MAX Power output: 220W"
and: Input: 100-240V-50-60Hz
and: Output 12V--- 18A

So thanks for reading & please reply!

Whats your budget, because the FX5200 won't be able to play those games at all or very smooth. You can buy a 9400GT by EVGA from newegg. 220 should be fine.

and: Output 12V--- 18A
A quick look says thats decent, but that sounds like a pretty low end powersupply to me. It will probably work for that 5200FX. And no, the 5200FX would probably barley get by starting up the game.

If i was using 90watts with a 2400HD and 8400gs on my past rig , his psu is just fine lol
Buy a 9400gt evga from newegg and stay happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back