TechSpot

Severe GeForce FX 5200 Problems

By legendaryjordan
Jun 10, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, Let me just run you through my specs first. [thanks in advance if you read it]

Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20 GHz
    3.19 GHz, 1.99 GB of RAM
    XP professional 2002

Dell, Optiplex GX620 (smallest form)

(ps. I am perfectly happy with everything except my graphics card, game-wise, i checked ww.canyourunit.c.om and found no problems with my RAM ect.)

So here is my problem. Right now i have an 82945G integrated G card. It is terrible so a couple of weeks ago i get a broken laptop off a friend with a GeForce FX 5200 in it so as you might imagine, i want to use it.

One thing is stopping me i believe. My PSU. It is at a discraceful 220W. The thing is there are 4 versions of the optiplex gx620, i have the ULTRA-SMALL-FORM-FACTOR one!! The power is supplied by an AC adapter thing and i have looked online and can't find any higher PSU power supplies for my particular computer.

I Really want to game (sims 3, rome total war, oblivion, left4dead ect.) but cant because of my shitty graphics card so here are my questions:

Is it even physically POSSIBLE to stick the 5200 in my comp??

Would it be retarded doing so?

Are there any higher power supplies for my comp? [include link please]

Any side recommendations??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
    MY PSU box thing ( around 15cm x 7cm ) actually says "MAX Power output: 220W"
    and: Input: 100-240V-50-60Hz
    and: Output 12V--- 18A

So thanks for reading & please reply!
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,757   +157

The FX 5200 low profile card might work for you
  3. Tha General

Tha General TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,225

Whats your budget, because the FX5200 won't be able to play those games at all or very smooth. You can buy a 9400GT by EVGA from newegg. 220 should be fine.
  4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,360   +122

A quick look says thats decent, but that sounds like a pretty low end powersupply to me. It will probably work for that 5200FX. And no, the 5200FX would probably barley get by starting up the game.
  5. Tha General

Tha General TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,225

If i was using 90watts with a 2400HD and 8400gs on my past rig , his psu is just fine lol
    Buy a 9400gt evga from newegg and stay happy!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.