Severe Performance Issues

Hello there. Posting this on a friend's behalf since I want to help him out and he's busy.

He has an MSI Ge62 1QF Apache Pro gaming laptop. It worked fine for awhile, but then it just started to act up every once in awhile in games and he has to restart to get it to be fixed. The problem is that his FPS tanks in games, like dies to 1 or 2 fps. His audio becomes fully choppy and robotic like his computer itself has lost all FPS. That lasts for either 2-10 seconds sometimes and sometimes even longer. CPU usage doesn't seem to go up, fans don't go out of control or anything, there's no extra load on the graphics card.

We've reinstalled windows and updated all the drivers, got him to clean out the laptop with compressed air, and nothing seems to work.

I told him to monitor the temps of his computer, and they seem to be running at 60-70c idle and 80-90 while gaming. That seems a little hot to me, but I also don't game on a laptop and I hear they can be much hotter than a desktop.

I figured I'd post here as a last resort before I told him to just take it in to be looked at and see if a part inside is just dying. Hoping there is a better diagnostic tool that I'm not aware of, or someone knows what exactly is causing this.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Back