TechSpot

Shader model Video Card...

By Ural_
Dec 4, 2006
  1. Can someone please give me a description of a shader model video card and also some examples, I am needing one for a game I want to purchase.

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

What kind of graphics slot has your pc got!!!!

3. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

If you give us your system specs (motherboard, cpu, ram and psu) and the name of the game you are wanting to play, we will help you find the best card for your system. Also, a budget is probably a good idea as well.

In the meantime, here is an article on shaders for you.

4. Ural_

Ural_ TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 96

Ok, I got an agp slot, 1.8Ghz intel pentium 4 cpu, 512mb of ram, 550 watt psu, P4S333 Motherboard. The game I want to play does not require much, it is broken sword angel of death all i need is an upgraded video card that is atleast 128mb and a shader model. If you can recomend me a good card it will be appreciated, and by the way I live in australia and am on a very low budget maybe $100 australian, Wouldnt mind buying 2nd hand though. Thanx

5. DonNagual

That's about $80 US dollars. In that range, see if you can't find yourself a 6600GT or a 9800pro card. Both would run that game very well.

Good luck!

6. Ural_

Hmmm thanx now the choice between the two cards... lol

7. DonNagual

The 6600GT is a little better than the 9800pro. If you can find one in your range, that's the one to get.

I'd also recommend posting the specs of any 6600GT card you get (if possible post a link to the site's page with the specs). There are some 6600GTs that are better than others.

8. antradox

antradox TS Rookie Posts: 35

a radeon 9800 Pro looks good

rad 9800 pro is good i reckon. it just the fact that if that card can run far cry pretty good, then with the broken sword angel of death game, it should run better

9. Ural_

Ive found a lot of 6600 but 90% of them are PCI-E is there any specific search I should make?

Also the only agp compatible cards are 8x my slot is only 4x I think im gonna go with the radeon, Also this might be pushing it but like antradox says if the radeon 9800 can play farcry really good do you think I could maybe get a 9600 or 9750 instead and still have relatively good visuals for Broken sword?

10. DonNagual

Most AGP8x cards will work in AGP4x boards (backward compatible).

That game you are looking it is fairly dated. Yes, even a 9600 card would run it without problems I suspect.

11. Ural_

The game was released just a few weeks ago in the EU I think you are thinking of the previous game in the series, but the requirments arent very high and I think a 9600 should run it.

12. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

You have to be very careful putting a x8 card into a x4 board!!!!

X8 cards are designed to run at 0.8 volt and a x4 mobo runs ant 1.5 volt!!!!

If a card is stated as x4/x8 then its ok with both systems, but if it says x8 only then it will not work!!!!

I know this firshand from when i used to have a x4 mobo!!!!

13. Ural_

Hmmm well I dont want to risk having my card fried, I found a good deal and I was planning on buying this-> ATI RADEON 9800 128MB DDR AGP VIDEO CARD 256BIT/> it says that it can support 8x slots, but When i asked the seller if it supports 4x he said yes, question is can I believe him..

I also forgot to ask will this video card support directX 9.0c as the seller does not state this.

14. DonNagual

15. Ural_

Ok thanx for the information, I feel much safer buying the product now, The price is currently below $40 australian dollars really good bargain, its not second hand either!

16. crow

crow TS Rookie

shader model video card

hello everybody im trying to load coh opposing fronts but my pc doesn't have shader model video card what should i do

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.