Share my Printer over the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

milky

I am running XP-Pro SP2. IIS is installed and is used to host a website milkytech.homeftp.net

I want to share my HP officejet over the internet (it is already shared locally) so that when I am on the road with my laptop, I can print documents at home via the internet. Obviously, I would also like some security implemented to keep everyone on the internet from connecting to my printer.

Can XP do this without 3rd-party print server software?

You may want to rethink this if you print heavy graphics. The size of a print job is actually usually quite big.

not heavy graphics, just text and minor graphics. I don't care about the size of the print job, I just want to know if it can be done on XP and how to do it. If all you can offer is for me to 'rethink this', don't bother replying! :knock:

I assume you are currently sharing the printer using Windows file and printer sharing? Exposing that to the internet directly would be just insane. What you can do, is enable the XP VPN feature.

milky said:
I am running XP-Pro SP2. IIS is installed and is used to host a website milkytech.homeftp.net

I want to share my HP officejet over the internet (it is already shared locally) so that when I am on the road with my laptop, I can print documents at home via the internet. Obviously, I would also like some security implemented to keep everyone on the internet from connecting to my printer.

Can XP do this without 3rd-party print server software?
I am just curious for what purpose you would need to do this for that it would so important to get a hard copy of something on your home printer when you aren't there.

Why is everyone so curious as to my reasoning?? :suspiciou i could sit here and give examples of situations in which this would be useful, but its a waste of all of our time. if you look at some of my old posts, you might see that i want to know things just to know them. i'm not always concerned if its the best or smartest or most secure way, just if its possible and how to do it. if you want to try and hack my computer, be my guest! :evil:

Look, i am an IT student learning all kinds of new things about computers, and lots of different things strike my curiosity. a couple of months ago it was hosting my own website on my home computer (nobody thought I should attempt that either), this time its accessing my printer over the internet.

I've learned several ways of accessing my PC over the internet (ftp, http, remote desktop, terminal services), now I want to know how to access the printer directly. I am pretty sure this is possible with Windows Server 2k and 2k3, but can it be done with XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back