Shared Folders vs. Network Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinl15

I bought a new desktop and have 2 laptops. The desktop is my main computer and would like to create shared folders or a Partitioned network drive between them. Would I be better off making a partition on my desktop that would have all my files, etc. on it and then just have the laptops map to it by a Network Drive. Or should I make a shared folder between the desktop and the 2 laptops. Is there a benifit that one has over the other? What would you do?

Little better explination:

My harddrive has 2 partitions: C: 60GB and S: 20GB

C: has the operating system and programs on it while

S: currently has documents, pictures, quickbooks files, music, etc.

Would I be fine to Map to the S: drive from my laptops (it would show up as a network drive under My Computer) 2 partitions used
Or just share the folders that have the files in them (My Documents Folder) and only have; 1 partition used
Which one would be more convenient to use?

It is you who will be using it and only you can judge the covenience. We don't know you or your needs and habits. Just try one and the other.

someone just told me it is very unsecure to Map Network Drives. My router has a built in firewall. Should I still be fine if I use that and only allow my computers access to the internet?

Since you have a router your Lan firewall gives you security. I use a Network HDD.(I recommend a Fixed IP ,but doesn't really matter)
You don't have to have the computer with the Share running to access Shares from other CPU's.
Less bother with Windows networking settings.
There are a lot of advantages.
I got a NAS enclosure and an 80Gig HDD seagate under 170.00 U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back