Shared printer on XP and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denman007

I have my printer connected to a XP Home box and shared. I can connect to it and print fine on another XP box using my home wireless network.

I have a 3rd computer (laptop) running Vista. I can connect and print but it takes forever. For instance, when I have excel open and simply want to drag margins in print preview, it takes 5 to 10 seconds per margin. I get an hourglass waiting for the margin change. Same thing with Paint Shop, do a resize and it takes 10 seconds. To actually queue the print, is taking a few mins.

Is there something I need to run/install on vista if my printer is attached to a XP box?

I don't think my printer (HP2210), can be networked. It only has a usb connection. So I have it directly connected to a XP box on my network.

Printing from one system to a printer attached to another does not access the remote system
or device until the actual print button has been clicked. The page(s) are
rendered on the local system and then the image is shipped to the print spooler on
the remote system.

Given the above, the print driver on Vista is suspect.

If the computers are networked, then you can reach any printer connected to a computer on the network.

I haven't tried that yet. I did change my default printer to something else - MS XPS Document writer. Then I went into my spreadsheet and it was lighting quick when I move stuff around in the print preview.

So it's prob what jobeard said - a driver issue.

go to the hp;s web site and find the support for you specific model printer. They typically have a set of tools to diagnose driver issues (e.g. is the correct / most current one installed) and other printer/network issues as well

I think what happen is when I installed the printer from the XP box to my Vista laptop, it copied the XP driver.

HP website says the Vista driver is included in the Vista o/s. So I did a update driver to load it and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back