Shareing files between OS's on a Dual boot system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Lancelot

Okay Im planning to reformat my pc soon and reinstall with a dual boot between Windows XP Pro and Linux Ubuntu Gusty, I was wondering since most linux and windows use differently formatted partitions and they cant write to each other what could I do if I wanted to be able to take files off windows and put them in my linux partition or from my linux partition to my windows partition with a quick drag and drop from one partition to another?

I don't know too much about partitions and stuff, just enough to make a dual boot system. and I dont like the idea of having to burn something to a CD then copy it off the CD just to transfer a file.

Is there maybe a format I could use for a partition that would read/write in both windows and linux? and just use it to hold files I want to copy to the other OS in so all I would have to do is just reboot and load the other OS and copy off that partition or something?

Your linux will read the NTFS just fine, can even write to it now too, but you don't want your linux installed to an NTFS drive, use ext2 or ext3 or reiserfs. But as you noted, problem is Windows can't deal with that. The solution might be as simple as just not storing stuff you want access to on the linux partitions, and only put it on NTFS or FAT32. Another solution would be to find a piece of software that lets Windows read those partitions. Here is one for ext2: http://www.fs-driver.org/

maybe I could make an NTFS partition thats only about 5gb in size and just send a file to it and copy it off that drive in linux or visa versa?

You can access your Windows system partition directly from Linux - there is no need to set up anything special.
Accessing Linux files from Windows is the trickier part. As SNGX said, a special ext2/ext3 driver is the simplest method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back