Sharing an internet connection via wireless card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiceGuyEd

Hello,
I have a laptop and a desktop sitting next to each other and neither have wireless capability. I have a wireless router a few rooms over and would like to put both of these online without having to run a cable or 2 into there.

My question is, is there any way to put a wireless pci card in the desktop and share the internet connection with the laptop just using a LAN cable? Is there a something out there that will do this?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! :)
Ed

First you should test if the wireless signal is good enough in the room. Depending on the material, two walls may be too much already.

There is absolutely no difference what kind of network you are sharing. Follow any Windows ICS guide and it will Just Work. You need a crossover cable to connect the two computers.

It will save you a lot of headaches if you just got two wireless adapters for both of the computers.

Thank you for your reply. I've tested the the signal strength in the room from another laptop and it posts as "really good".

The reason I don't want to go buy two wireless adapters - one for the desktop, one for the laptop - is because I'm not the owner of the laptop and it will come and go from time to time. Just being able share an internet connection off from my desktop would be wonderful.

I'm still a bit confused on how this is done. So I just buy a pci wireless card for my desktop? And hook the laptop to the desktop via an ethernet cable? Where is it plugged into?

Thanks in advance for any further info. :)
Ed

You plug the ethernet cable into the ethernet adapter.. If you don't have an ethernet adapter, then you need to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back