Sharing Drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

azki

Hi all! ive been reading here for awhile and now that i need help i decided to make an account.

Well heres the issue, My CD/DVD ROM drive has died on me. about a week ago to be exact, and im broke right now. yup. hehe, So i decided id'e just use my sisters cd/dvd rom drive via network, i can share Hard Drives, but how do i share a CD/ROM drive so that its reconised as a cd/rom drive on my computer?

mainly the reason for this is i just got sims 2 and i want to play arghh! and you cant just share her drive then run the setup off it, it just gives me a error when the setup should start.. so i need to actually have a drive...so like..yeah how do i share a cd drive..

So its shown as a cd drive in My Computer.

Thanks!

I think sharing a CD drive across the network, is just viewing a shared folder (therefore it won't work)

Better to purchase another drive

In you still want to Share the drive
just place a disc in it (close any autorun) right click and select sharing
(Note File and print sharing must be enabled firstly)
Just google Windows share CD/DVD over the network

If I remember correctly EA does a pretty nasty job of trying to make sure you have the legit CD in the drive it was installed from. Not sure you're going to be able to easily AND legally get around that. Not sure what their policies about creating disk images look like.

Hmmm well i dont get payed for another month.. so im screwed?

her drives shared, and its just a shared folder, i select autorun, and up setup pops. chuck the cd key in, hit next, choose the setup Directory, click next, then i get a EAAUTORUN.exe error...damnit!?? any suggestions?

she wont let me ahaha. im like " umm.. just nicking your drive for like..15 minutes? " and shes like " F OFF!! " im like.. okay... ill just block youtube, and shes like, you cant, Hah

haha she just screamed " UNBLOCK IT " ahahahaha

Get a CD emulator program.....

Borrow a drive once, and allow the CD Emulator to build files of the CDs. Two programs that come to mind are "Virtual Drive" and "Daemon Tools". Myself I would go for the paid one "Virtual Drive", by Farstone Software. But that's just me.

on her machine enable file sharing of the cd or dvd drive
on your machine map the drive
when you do the share thing call it optical drive so you know cause windowz just sees a letter
to access there has to be a disc in it or it acts offline
I have one setup like that nothing wrong it works

Oh my god. Sims 2 is installing.. :)

Mate..Thanks!!!! like.. Really? um not sure if its goin to actually work, but ill post back if it does/doesnt? Alright thanks alot

I think what samstoned said about mapping the shared drive should work, I've never tried it myself though. Thought about tryign it several years ago when not every computer had a dvd drive.

Hmm didnt think it was going to work. Thanks anyway,

it installs, asks for disk 2, so i go put it in, click next, it says it cant find TSDATA/res so i think...hmmm, so i go put disk 1 back in click retry, and it gets to 45% on disk one, then says it cant find a file, so i go put disk 2 in, half a second later it wants disk 3 , so i go put it in, says it cant find a file, so i put disk 1 in, and it gets to 86%, then it says it cant find a file, so i go put disk 3 in, half a second later, it asks for disk 4, so i go put disk 4 in, says its mising a file. so i go put disk 1 back in, and wallah, finished installation of sims 2 with 1 disk. one problem, only 25% of the data is on my computer cos of that disk issue...hmm

if your machine has no dvd
you need to load the files like data then use a optical drive emulator
like daemon tools to run
the mapping sees drive optical as a reg hdd
and if disc has protection it will not load
the copy thing should work and or image the disc to drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back