By Phantasm66
Oct 15, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. source: http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=125
  2. larrybum

larrybum Newcomer, in training

Cautions about connecting to a Windows workgroup

I recently installed UBUNTU 7.04 and tried to access files on my windows computers on the same network after I had installed Samba.

I could see not even the host computer. I could see the Windows Workgroup with the correct name. When I clicked on that icon I got an error message something like "I can't access the folders".

I looked all over to discover what was wrong, but nothing I found appeared to address my problem. Clearly, my windows machines could see each other as shared files. I finally decided to rename my workgroup. I had heard that Linux used to have trouble working correctly when names had spaces in them. My workgroup name was something like "jack and jill". I changed the workgroup name on all my computers on the network to "jackandjill".

I, of course, changed the DOMAIN name on my Linux machine to JACKANDJILL and viola...it worked as it should have. I could see all my machines and all my shared files.

I suppose that most Workgroup Names don't have spaces in them, but it is something that SAMBA or one of its configuration tools should recognize as an error when a domain name is entered containing spaces.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.