sharing files on web server

Status
Not open for further replies.

javastring

I have windows 2000 web server. I created html page and point to one excel file.

Now i can remote access my excel file through but cannot edit it. File opens as "Read ONLY"

Any idea why or how to solve?

I put in all administrative access to file and even web server but still no resolution.

If you want your web page users to be able to edit it, you indeed have a problem. You might make it so that they can download it, then edit it, then return it to you or whatever.

If you wanna be able to edit remotely, try accessing it through FTP.

Regards :)

need to make the page dynamic to write to database and edit file
ASP for you windows lovers PHP and SQL
best as said ftp dwnld open edit reup

If your webserver supports it, you can set up something called WebDAV (Microsoft calles it Web folders) that lets you use web resources as if they were a simple folder with files in.

this WebDav is it free?

Also i tried same problem in windows 2003 IIS server with default configuration. I can open file but it does not say Read Only.

I can edit files on my web sites that I manage by going (in Internet Explorer) ftp://[I]website[/I].com/. After giving my username and password, I can edit files as if they were on my local machine in Windows Explorer.

javastring said:
Now i can remote access my excel file through but cannot edit it. File opens as "Read ONLY"
CONGRATUATIONS -- your web server is configured correctly!

Web based files SHOULD NEVER be modifiable :)

other solutions, eg FTP should be considered.

Did you install the plugins for Excel for Web Acces? Or which version of MS Office are you using though? I've seen this problem at work with end users who can't access web logic portal sites that have Quickfind, PDF, Excel an etc also UNIX and mainframe.. formats. Most of the problem lines with permissions with IT Security in this case you.

Only one person can look at the file or edit at time. Did you share that file so you can edit though. How did you do it? On the File Server or Web Server?

tipstir said:
...Most of the problem lines with permissions with IT Security in this case you.

Only one person can look at the file or edit at time. Did you share that file so you can edit though. How did you do it? On the File Server or Web Server?
these are LAN based sharing issues, not WEB based.
On the Web, uploading and storing over an existing file is a design feature and
should NEVER occur. FTP base uploads are the means to update Web files.

If you want people to fill out a form and send it back to you, have 'em download it, fill it out, then email it to you or something. If you got some kind of wiki, you may need to use some kind of special software.

javastring said:
but suppose files are open in web browser, can this be edited? i know the alternative of using ftp but users just want to use http://.....
yes they can edit, but UPLOADING the result is the issue; lot's of issues,
1) concurrancy; how to ensure two users don't upload at the same time
2) the interface to perform the upload -- you need a <form action=PUT ...
3) authentication that this user is authorized to upload changes.​

You would be better served with a LAN base server and a VPN connection

Nodsu said:
1-3 are all catered for by WebDAV. Did you even bother to look it up?
imo, it's not which tool performs what service(s), but what is the
data flow -- clarifying WHERE the mimetype is needed.

this article enumerates the WebDAV solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back