Sharing the MyDocs folder with multiple users

May 2, 2008
  1. hi guys,

i'm working on a winxp machine that has 2 users that need access to all the same information. i'd like to keep things as transparent as possible so windows doesn't really appear to function differently than normal. i've also read up on changing the target folder for the "My Documents" folder. my idea is to create a new folder and point both accounts MyDocs folder towards that new folder. i understand there may be the occasion where one user will want to use a file that the other user has open but that is a minimal concern. i'd also like to make is easier to back up the files from both users with a single operation instead of digging through things.

so the big question is: is there any reason that its a bad idea for 2 users on the same machine to use the same logical folder as their my documents folder?
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,153   +598

Your working too hard at the objective. There's a Shared Documents fold that is intended to be shared by everyone.

Under the All Users, there's the \Shared Documents; everyone has read/write/delete
    permissions and can copy or create files therein.

ICUB4UCME TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for the reply. great information to know and i may go that route but the thing that got me on this train of thought is that typical users have the habit of simply storing everything where windows tells you to which is the my documents folder most of the time. i can tell them to use the shared documents instead but i've found that most users don't think that hard while computing. simply put, i find it easier to manipulate and train computer habits than user habits. lol
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,153   +598

create a shortcut to Shared Documents and copy it into the My Documents of the
    respective users.

now educate for the cascading navigation -> My Documents ->Shared Documents
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.