Sharing TIF's in XP?

By Thunder
May 1, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Can all users on XP share the same TIF folder?
  2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Well, XP has a thing called "simple file sharing". I guess it could be used (I wonder how simple things can get with XP). For more powerful file/directory sharing, if I remember correctly, you need to be a power-user or administrator.
    Just right-click a directory and select "Sharing and Security".
  3. Thunder

Thunder Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 47

I think that only applies to a network. I'm refering to the different profiles on my PC. ( wife's, kid's)
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

A normal directory created under, say, C:\, should be accessible to anyone. Some special directories like other people's profiles & "C:\System Volume information" aren't accessible for normal users.
    So, just move the directory so that others can access it.
    btw. Is this TIF folder just Tagged Image Format files or something special?
  5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

The network sharing also doubles as local sharing too.

Make sure "Make folder Private" is not checked.
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,267   +217

Could he be referring to Temporary Internet Files?
  7. Thunder

Thunder Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 47

Yes, Temporary Internet Files.:) I moved mine to C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files. I'm wondering if I can also move my wife's and kid's which are stored in their own profiles or will it cause a conflict?
  8. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

There should not be a problem, providing you keep the folder outside of the "Document and Settings/username" folder. The rest of the hard disk is accessible by even guests I would imagine, so placing your "TIF" folder in some place such as C:\TIF or C:\Windows\TIF should work fine.

Of course, you'll have to change the TIF directory for their profile too, so their account looks for the same folder you are using instead of the default one.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.