TechSpot

Shock-resistant Samsung Galaxy S5 Active now available through AT&T

By Shawn Knight
May 30, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Water-resistance was a welcomed addition on Samsung's new Galaxy S5 smartphone but for the most active among us, they could have taken it a step further. Fortunately, AT&T is now offering a more rugged version of the flagship for that...

Read more

2. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TS Booster Posts: 221   +14

I bought the S4 Active and honestly I do not like the fact that there is hardly any support for it. Especially when you are trying to ROOT it or flash some custom ROM on it. This is something that I will not get and stick with the regular S5 as it will have more support for enthusiasts.

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,514   +2,059

The phone may be a bit more shock resistant than stock but unfortunately the buyers won't be when they see the cash price.

4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Looks like a nice improvement to the S4 active.

Isn't it like any other phone though? $200 on contract and $700 off.

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,514   +2,059

I dunno. Your contracts seem to work differently to ours. I find ours are a rip-off, it's always cheaper to buy a device cash if you're not interested in having the latest & greatest. A Samsung Galaxy S4 can now be purchased outright for about $300 - $350 now that the S5 has been released which retails for ~$800+

6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

That is interesting. I just looked at Amazon and they are selling an unlocked S4 for $430. I didnt think it was that low. S5 is going for $600 unlocked. You are right in that $700 is quite pricey, but that is probably because it just released. I bet the S5 was $700 when it was first released off contract.