Shopping for Dell Dimension 8100 Case Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2 year old (2002) Dell Dimension 8100. The rear case fan (only fan) has ended its own life. I went to Dell to purchase a replacement and was robbed of $22 for what should have only cost about $8. However, one month later I have still not received the fan and have been forced to start looking elswhere.

Problem is, I am not sure where to look. Does anyone have good resources for sites that tell you what fans are compatible with certain systems (and possibly sells such fans)? Or has anyone already purchased a good replacement that they would suggest?

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

If there are any PC shows at a county center near you - there will be too many fan units to choose from...

How to solve this problem

I thought my fan was going out too, it turned out to be the cooling fan for the video card. Nonetheless, while I was thinking the problem was my case cooling fan for my Dell Dimension 8100, I took the facotry installed one off. It looked customized and I wondered where I would be able to find another like it. While taking it out and putting it back in a couple times I noticed that it's just a standard fan with some unique Dell add-ons so that it doesn't need to be screwed into the case. You can pull fan off the square plastic bracket that attaches to the back wall of the case. Sticking out of this square bracket you will see four posts on which you would mount the replacment fan. Take that bracket in to Micro Center, CompUSA or some store like that and buy a 4-8 dollar fan that will mount securely on those four posts...and you're done. It was tricky getting the fan off the back side of the case. The fan assembly slides toward the motherboard to release the fan assembly. Make sure that the fan you buy has the same connector as the fan Dell provided by the way.

Jim

MY comptuer is a Dimension 8300 and the case fan killed itself too, but the surprising thing was Dell actually came to my house and changed the fan themselves one evening :rolleyes: So I'm not positive, but you should probably be able to call tech support to have them come out, unless its different where you live.

It seems Dell just hired out the company as a contractor and had them do it, but yes, my fan really started making noise and I think it is because we didn't vacuum the back out that often, which led to wear and tear on the fan.

Look around, and ask Dell Techies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back