Shorting out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I built this computer a couple of months back which was having problems even getting past the POST portion of the boot up, which I finally determined was due to some sort of shorting out caused by something on the mobo connection. When I unplugged some of the cpu fan connectors it worked for a while without any problems, but now I'm having more of the same problems as before. I know it's a short somewhere but I don't know how to go about resolving it so that I don't have to deal with the same thing redundantly for a while. Any advice I could get would be greatly appreciated.

a motherboard short circuit is usually caused by a metal standoff in the wrong place, or a loose screw that fell behind the mobo.

the ATX standard has all the mounting holes vertically and horizontally lined up (with the exception of 1 mounting hole right below the I/O panel which lines up vertically, but not horizontally)

remove the mobo and verify that there is only a standoff where there is a corresponding mounting hole on the motherboard. table test the system outside of the case and verify that it works correctly before reinstalling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back