TechSpot

Should a LCD Flicker?

By GeekieNick101
Oct 14, 2006
  1. Hey Everybody,
    My Dell laptop's LCD screen flickers now and then and I didnt think LCD screens could flicker. This laptop is about 3 to 4 weeks old. And always did flciker since I got it so do you think it is defective because my last laptop didnt flicker and neither does my desk LCD mointer. I never thought they did flicker I thought that was CRT only. Thank you so much

2. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

A LCD screen shouldn't flicker. Even if they're running @ 60 hertz, they don't flicker at all.

Maybe that screen is defective :(

3. GeekieNick101

GeekieNick101 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 373

Just what I thought Thank you very much, I been usng LCD'S for a while and never had one flicker now I know CRT's can but not LCD's and I dont even think they would factory set it to 60 hertz, I didnt change it so its factory from dell so im using it is defective it wouldnt surprise me if it was, Dell assembled my desktop incorrectly. Well thank you so much for your help

4. GeekieNick101

Yes it is set at 60 hertz and thats the only options it has, it is a 15.4 widescreen, i guess I have to call techs upport so I can get a new one its under warranty...

5. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,077

what resolution are you running at?

6. wolfram

It should be running at its native resolution, and shouldn't flicker at all. My monitor was factory set @ 60HZ, and it's looking beautiful. I no longer need to set it @ 75HZ. 60 HZ is ideal for LCD monitors.

And yes, maybe you need to get it replaced.

Regards :wave:

7. GeekieNick101

1280 by 800 pixels on 60 hertz and its a 15.4 widescreen laptop lcd
    Thank you very much

8. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,077

i agree send it for a replacement

9. GeekieNick101

Ok Thank you, Im on hold trying to get a Dell tech now Thank you everyone, I'll post a reply to what the Dell tech said...

10. GeekieNick101

Thank you very much veryone I called dell and there going to send me out a replacement lcd thanks for the help

11. wolfram

I'm glad mate. I hope that the new one comes OK.

Regards :wave:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.