Should COD4 Run This Poorly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vnf4ultra

Ok, so call of duty 4 is running so poorly that I can't enjoy it.

My specs:
Amd Dual Core Opteron 165 @ 2.4ghz
2GB Ram @ DDR 444
256MB 7800gt OC
Vista 32bit

I know my system isn't "top of the line" anymore, but it runs so badly that I can't even believe it. If I set everything to low, turn off all the aa, set nvidia control panel to "performance," and set the res to 640x480 :( it will still get down below 20fps in any kind of firefight.

Is the game that demanding or is something wrong with my comp? I'm thinking the problem may be vista...but that's just a guess. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

It's definitely not your computer. I got around 15fps with my 2.8 Ghz P4, 1 GB Ram, and 6200 PCI. I have XP, but that shouldn't be the problem. I'm not sure what else could be wrong, but I have COD4 for the 360, and I can't live a day without it

I scanned for virus...nada. I patched to the latest cod4 patch(which didn't appear to be a performance patch anyay) and no improvement. I guess I'll boot over to xp and try the game to compare fps.

check the driver version of your gfx card, update if necessary.
Reboot with just miminimal windows services running from msconfig and see how it works.
Defrag? Always best to defrag before installing something as huge as COD4.

I'm not sure what is wrong, but no, performance shouldn't be that poor. I know a guy running it decent at at least 8x6 I forget what res he has it on, but he's running a pentium d system with a 6600gt? 6600 something at least.

beef - its not vista, at worst I could expect vista to kill 10fps, by no means would it make it unplayable at that low of a res.

My driver is up-to-date. System was defragged within last 2 days.
I captured a short clip (in xp btw) of how crappy this is running. (The clip is still being "processed" so it might not work for a bit)

FPS in the clip varies from between about 5 and 30fps. Notice especially how laggy it as as I go through the doorway. Also, sometimes the game will just "stop" for about 3 seconds, in which everything stops and the system appears to hang, but it comes back in a few seconds. The cut-screen sequences also lag for the first few seconds of the clip and the hard drive activity goes crazy at that point. It acts as if it doesn't have enough ram, but 2gb in xp should be enough. I don't think it can be low vram, since textures are set to low.
These are my settings used.

1440x900
AA off
AF off
Textures low
Detail normal
Corpses medium

Vista vs. Xp didn't seem to make much difference in this case, it runs like crap in both (vista still sucks btw).

I think I'm going to install it on my pvr system(the one in my system specs drop down) to see if it runs better/worse on the core2/8600gt.

As far as overheating, rivatuner monitor shows that it (gpu) maxes at 84C in game. That's pretty hot, but I don't think it's so hot that it'd be throttling.

Hmm, well I can blow off the cooler with some air and see if that helps. It does have a little bit of dust in the heatsink fins. I tried cod4 on my pvr, and it is a lot faster, but it typically performs similarly in games to my main computer, so something is wrong with my main computer. On the pvr, I could run high settings @ 1280x1024 (no aa/af) and it seemed like the lowest fps was about 30, which made it much more playable. The strange thing to me is that my main computer will score normally in 3dmark06, so if the gpu is overheating and throttling, I'd think it'd do the same in 3dmark06 and generate lower scores. Could it be a bug with cod4 or the nvidia drivers? Maybe the 7 series or the 7800gt in particular have a glitch running the game? Is anyone here running cod4 with a 7800gt card, that could test if there is some kind of bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back