Should I be Concerned?

By jpic58
Nov 28, 2005
  1. The other day I was booting up the system and It went to found new hardware when I loged on. Well I didn't install any new hardware. It turns out to be the multimedia audio controller. I searched for the drivers but it did not find anything so I disabled it. The kicker is that I have sound and everything seems to be working fine. Should I be concerned? Does anyone know?
  2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

Take a look in your device manager, and see if there are any items with a yellow or red symbol beside them.
  3. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,019

It sounds to me as if you have a 3rd party PCI soundcard and the on-board audio disabled.

Several kinds of BIOS changes can occur that can cause a previously disabled on-board to suddenly be enabled. I'd hit your BIOS (usually done with DEL or F1 during the initial post/mem tests) and see if your on-board soundcard is disabled... if and only if you indeed do have a PCI aftermarket installed and working.
  4. jpic58

jpic58 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have A creative audigy 2 zs it is working fine there is a sound card bilt into the motherboard do you think this could be the problem?
  5. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,019

Well, it's not really a problem if it's simply being identified as a Multimedia Controller. This means the drivers aren't installed.

The best solution would be to go into the BIOS and simply disable the on-board/integrated audio. It should remove the entry from your computer as it's basically unused hardware. No need for it to initialize and hog possible resouces.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.