Should I buy a new System now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray

I am in the market for a new system, my newest system is a PIII 866 with a 17" monitor.......nothing special. I was thinking of getting a P4 3ghz or around there with a 17" LCD monitor or a 19" CRT monitor. Is now a good time to buy or should I wait (I'm in no real hurry) also....Is the 19" Crt or the 17" Lcd the best buy as in quality and performance?
Anything I should be getting specific in a system?
Ray

I'm going to be the first (and perhaps the only one) to tell you to buy now. 'Upgrade when' type questions are asked all the time on here, other boards, real life and I almost always see people saying wait. Their justification for saying that is that something new is about to be released and it will drop the prices on what you are looking at now. Well yeh, thats true, but thats always going to be true (at least for the forseeable future). So I say upgrade your 866 now to whatever fits your budget. I'm going to be upgrading soon myself, I've got a 1Ghz Athlon Thunderbird.

As far as the monitor, depends what you want to do with it. We have lots of threads talking about LCD vs CRT and such. The search feature should return quite a plethora of results. But basically what it amounts to is gaming on an LCD will give you 'ghosting' unless the response rate is below some rate (want to say 20ms, but I'm not sure, the search results will have the number). Also in those threads they have links or at least name names on the LCD ones that are good for gaming.
Of course if you aren't a hardcore gamer, and just want something pretty to look at, personally I'd get an LCD.
Check out some threads on CRT and LCD and I think you'll be able to make an informed decision on the monitor. Then sit back and enjoy your new PC :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back