Should I buy a sound card?

I don't care about audio quality at all. I just think it might reduce the strain on my PC if I get a cheap sound card to cut out on board graphics.

Your sound might be from chip on motherboard and that is probably most efficient.

"Strain" is most likely result of dust build up inside case. Cleaning at least once each year is advised. Good videos about that on YouTube. Thermal paste can use renewing every 2 - 3 years.

If something specific is happening, describe it and give details about your system.

I don't care about audio quality at all. I just think it might reduce the strain on my PC if I get a cheap sound card to cut out on board graphics.
What exactly do the onboard graphics have to do with the sound anyway? They are after all, separate systems.

If you're talking about an installing a separate video card, the only sound subsystem on that, (I think (?)), would be the sound for the HDMI video out. (HDMI carries integrated sound, VGA & DVI do not).

The board's sound chips are still responsible for optical sound out at the S/PDIF.

Once upon a time, sound cards were a step up from on board sound. For the last few years though, not so much.

Back