Should I buy Toshiba Satellite 1700/300?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

My friend has 2 Toshiba Satallite 1700/300 laptops that I might buy. He is selling them at £100 each or £170 for the pair.

Because it is so old, I cannot find any reliable specs or prices online.

I know that its quite slow, but this is what I will do with it:

@ home: I intend to syncronise it with my Packard-Bell PC and use as a monitor.

@ Work and traveling: I intend to use it for mobile internet access and word processing at work.

I would like a decentish laptop, but I haven't got a lot of dough at the moment.

Is it worth it to buy this, and if not, can anyone suggest a laptop in the same price zone because I am really strapped for cash at the moment. I'm only 14. lol.

Cheers,
DK444

A quick google search tells me that those machines are 650mhz - 13.3 screen and 64mb RAM

100 pounds equates to somewhere around $185USD.

For comparison, I have purchased a few Dells in the past year that have a known MOBO failure for about $150USD each. Dell says they need new MOBOs, but I found a fix for them that requires a soldering iron, dremel and 10 minutes of time..These machines are 2.4ghz - 14.1 screen and hold up to 2GB RAM

If you do decide to pursue the satellites, check to see how upgradeable they are for memory. Thats going to be the deciding factor in running a newer OS smoothly.

For the record, I also keep one smaller,old laptop on hand. Its great for travel because it isn't the end of the world if it breaks or dies, and due to its size and weight, it makes a great iPod/Nav system for my truck when plugged into the aux jack of the stereo and my $20 usb GPS unit plugged in.

The specs on that machine are very similar to the satellites you are looking at.

Caleb

The terms of sale include an ugrade from 6GB's to 40GB's.

Is it cheap? becasue if its cheap enough and the specs are rubbish I will probably just sell it on Ebay.

Thanks,
DK444

Good word processing, email computer, best for Windows 98SE. Parts availability is a big problem. Fairly rugged.

Thats all very good and well, but I need to know if its value for money.

I would've thought that at £85, you can't really go wrong with a laptop.

However, I'm not an expert on this so I need you guys who are to advise me on this.

Thanks,
DK444

It sells for about $110 to $120 here in our part of the US. But parted out, it is worth $160

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back