Should I consider liquid cooling?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if you guys think I should get liquid cooling. Iv just got into overclocking and my over clock on my i5 3570k is at about 4.5Ghz from 3.4. When stress testing I get readings up to 100C. I dont know if my pc fans arnt doing their jobs (it feels like I only have control of 1 of them when messing with my knobs on my case). So I was wondering should I go liquid cooling? If so do you guys have a recommendation on a decent but preferably cheaper liquid cooling system thats compatible with my case, (dont want my fiance killing me)

This is my case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146067

Any input on any aspects of this would be great! =)

You have an NZXT Phantom so I can suggest most liquid cooling systems would fit inside that with ease.

But forstarters, if your hitting 100C, that CPU is throttling and that is dangerous temperature levels for a processor. Are you running on the stock cooler? Because if you are I would turn that back otherwise you may end up burning up the processor.

If you want to overclock that far, liquid cooling would be optimal. Here is my suggestion with the case you have:

Corsair H100i

Very good, very powerful, and will keep your chip nice and cold.

Last edited:
I have dialed it down to 4.0 ghz until I find a viable solution, and no I bought this to cool the CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

but now that you mention it on my bios on startup it tells me CPU fan error, I just had assumed it was because it wasnt the stock cooler, could it mean more than that?

and the H100 is a little bit out of my price range, would this suffice?

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Hydro-Performance-Liquid-Cooler/dp/B00A0HZMGA/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1395185384&sr=1-2&keywords=liquid cooling
Ah ok, well thats better than the stock cooler but not by much to be honest. I have never messed with that cooler specific, but it does not seem like a big heat spreader cooler that is designed for serious clocking. As for the CPU fan failed error, you may not have the fan on that plugged into the CPU fan header which is causing it not to detect a CPU fan being plugged in

As for the cooler, thats a very meh cooler for clocking up to 4.5ghz because the radiator is very thin. I have had experience with that particular cooler and it does not give you a decent range with temps and in many cases some high end air coolers perform just as well as it.

Heres some alternatives around the same price point.
Corsair H75
Thermaltake BigWater 3.0 (Probably the best option because of the radiator thickness)
Antec Kuhler 650

Out of the option, I have have had experience (From friends and family) with the top two and the Antecs previous model of cooler and they all should give you the 4.5 you want with reasonable temps.

These are just a few suggestions but there are alot of other ones out there to look at as well. It normally comes down to the radiator dimensions and reviews all of which of these get good reviews and have decent sized radiators. The thicker the radiator on closed loops, the more heat dissipation you will get.

Any liquid cooler would help like @GhostRyder mentioned above.

If you dont want to go liquid and want a decent $35 air cooler, I would go with the Hyper 212 Evo. It may only get your OC to about ~4.2GHz (maybe 4.3-4.4GHz) but that is about it for stability reasons. If you decide to go for this cooler, I recommend buying 2 static pressure fans for it and some nice thermal paste. That could get you to the 4.3-4.4GHz mark while still staying stable.

If you get CPU temperatures above 60C it is usually a bad sign that either your clocks are too high, the cooler isnt sufficient, or the thermal paste is wearing away. If you can go for a water-cooling solution, that would be even better.

Any liquid cooler would help like @GhostRyder mentioned above.

If you dont want to go liquid and want a decent $35 air cooler, I would go with the Hyper 212 Evo. It may only get your OC to about ~4.2GHz (maybe 4.3-4.4GHz) but that is about it for stability reasons. If you decide to go for this cooler, I recommend buying 2 static pressure fans for it and some nice thermal paste. That could get you to the 4.3-4.4GHz mark while still staying stable.

If you get CPU temperatures above 60C it is usually a bad sign that either your clocks are too high, the cooler isnt sufficient, or the thermal paste is wearing away. If you can go for a water-cooling solution, that would be even better.
For that price range look for a thermalright truespirit 120 and hyper 212+/evo.
I like the true spirit more.
He has an aftermarket air cooler already, but at the levels he wants hes going to need more than just a Hyper 212 with Ivy-Bridge i5. I overclocked a friends i5 easily to 4.5ghz on a Corsair H100i and it still runs above 60C even with the fans in a higher power state. Hes going to at least need a decent liquid cooler to achieve that level while maintaining temps that would prolong the life of the chip in my opinion (Unless he got a golden chip).

Back