Should I get a 680i Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogityboo04

I've been thinking about getting a eVGA 680i mobo, but is it worth it? The P35 Chipset is about launched and DDR3 is on its way. How future proof do you all think one of these boards is?

I would think that it is very future proof. It has SLi and extreme overclocking power. Even if DDR3 is on its way, DDR2 is still considered the new of memory. I bet that DDR3 will be like DDR2 when it first came out. Useless that is.

By the time you wait for the next technology, something else will be in the works. If you have a real need to upgrade, do it - like a program that you want to run but can't right now. Otherwise why waste the money?

I say get it, like one of the previous posters said it is a good overclocker, has sli capability and it is feature rich. I would also look at other 680i mobos, like the one made by Gigabyte, it looks awesome, though it's pricey. Also keep in mind that some new mobos and chipsets usually have issues when they are released which are later resolved by patches and BIOS updates, this was true of the 680i chipset boards when they first came out. My point is it is better to wait several months before buying a newly released board so all the bugs could be fixed.

The Bearlake chipset (P35) is a very overclockable chipset. Unfortunately it uses the DDR3 memory, which means you'd definately have to get a memory upgrade. Also, it being newer, you won't see any real improvement over DDR2 in terms of memory bandwidth, although theoretically it should be faster/better.

Of course, you can get the P35 chipset, some cheap DDR3 RAM, and when the technology matures a little (and there is some real improvement in speed/etc), get some new RAM chips in to replace the old ones. I reckon DDR3 would soon replace the DDR2 memory, just like how DDR2 has now replaced good ol' DDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back