Should I get a Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitty500cat

First of all, I guess this is the proper forum as I'm concerned mainly about the OS.

Now,
Would it be better to get an Apple MacBook or some Windows system? Can you run Linux on MacBooks? Or should I just go with a Windows system? Also, if I go with Windows, what brand should I get?

thx for any replies

--kitty

When you buy a macbook, your are paying for the way it looks, not performance. Kinda like buying an alienware pc. I would definatly buy a windows based laptop, asus hp, or acer are great. Wouldn't running linux on a mac defeat the purpose of having a mac? The only legit reason to buy a mac is to use osx, and even that isn't that great of a reason.(IMO).

I disagree with twite about the windows part, but agree on linux part, Although I dont have mac nor do i have much experience with them, i do know they can be more reliable and definately more secure.And if u are afraid of leaving Windows, well u can now use both windows and mac osx on the same machine. Either separately with bootcamp or simultaneously with a new program called parallel. YES SIMULTANEOUSLY, as in , at the same time. You have windows on a window of mac. (note this is only when using parallel.) The only drawback of parallel is that u only use 95% of windows speed instead of 100%, and with bootcamp its normal ( i would go with parallel). Windows can be good for many things but macs are good at other things. Both parallel and BootCamp would help u have the best of both worlds . Plus dual booting or parallel booting would save u money by using ur existing windows software instead of having to buy a new copy for the mac os. Also if u have a pc already , even if its old u can use obuntu linux on it and it will run great , extremely smooth.

I would love to say no to you but I cannot because I don't know why your even considering the change. If it is for video editing then you would end up saving money by just using Adobe Premier Pro (better than mac IMO and I do have a mac). The only real reason that I can see in getting a mac is if you... well I don't really see any reason. Anything that you can do on a mac you can pretty much do easier and with better quality with windows. Its not really any more secure than a windows system if you put a little work into it and definately no where near as secure as linux or unix. If your looking for a change and just want to get away from windows then I aggree with Darel001 and would suggest ubuntu.

Haha..Once again sony viao is like buying mac..your paying for the way it looks, and the brand. They are overpriced for minimal performance. Once again looks at Hp's, Acer's, Asus..all good brands.

Mac OS/X has it's kernel in FreeBSD -- a Unix variation. Getting a Terminal Window gives direct access to the bash command interpreter.

hint: talk to those who own one :)

The big question for your question is What is your intended reason for the change? If you 'just want to play with it -- I suggest it's an expensive toy'.
If however, you want desktop publishing and/or midi tools, nothing is better.

BTW: (1) Gygwin has a *nix emulator that runs directly on XP; ie no need to even dual boot.
(2) You can also go to dual boot on an Intel platform to get any specific Unix you prefer.

All environments, Mac OS/X, Gygwin, *nix dual boot provide development tools
to allow source compilations, eg make -f makefile or cc -o x x.c

kitty500cat said:
Would it be better to get an Apple MacBook or some Windows system?
Why do you bother asking this question in this forum? About three out of 62,000 members use Macs here. Most members have never even tried OS X. The arguments from Windows users are always the same against Macs (or OS X).

Can you run Linux on MacBooks?
Yes, just about any x86 / x86_64 distribution.

Or should I just go with a Windows system?
You can dual-boot Windows and OS X with a MacBook if you like.

I have a mac and a p.c...and i dont really like osx, nor do i like windows. I run ubuntu most of the time. But, you cant deny that macs are waaay overpriced. Seriously, just look at those links i posted. You pay $1400 more for the same specs!! can you explain that? Basically, your paying $1400 for osx? Wow..thats a GREAT deal.

Of course you will always find non-Apple computers that are cheaper than Apple's. How many computer manufacturers are there? How many stores have rebates, discounts or other special offers?

Do you compare the included software, warranties, shipping costs (if any), technical support and so on?

http://www.systemshootouts.org/

If people want to buy a Mac or are considering that as an option, let them.

Does it need to be ruled out right away because of the price?

Or does it need to be ruled out because a person replying to the question "doesn't like it" - without giving any reason for the dislike?

Oh man, no Apply fan boys on tech spot? :haha:
Macs are nice, I owned an old G4 that actually ran pretty fast for what I was using it for, but I didn't really find anything that I could do that I couldn't do on my PC though, so it just served as a nice music server

twite said:
Check out these 2 links

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...1104002/wo/N7D7kS3awF933SULyiB1GcQWVEj/3.?p=0

Now look at this

http://www.amazon.com/Widescreen-En...=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5508642-4020040?ie=UTF8&s=pc

The HP actually has BETTER specs then the Macbook (2 100 gig hard drives rather then the 1 160 on the mac)

And it is $1400 cheaper. Yes, 1400 dollars CHEAPER. Now, tell me if buying a macbook is worth it

-First, your apple link doesn't work, so I'll assume you mean a 17" macbook pro.
-Second, you linked to a REFURB hp.
-Third, the Macbook Pro has a much faster processor that would cost ~$450USD more (on newegg) to buy than the one in the hp.
T5500(1.66 2M cache) vs T7600(2.33 4M cache)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819111304
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819111300
-Fourth, the apple has vastly superior battery life(5.5hrs max vs 2.5hrs max)
-Fifth, the apple is 1" thin vs the Hp's 1.5"+ thick(smaller laptops cost more).
-Sixth, the apple has a higher screen resolution 1650x1050 vs the Hp 1440x900(which is a more expensive panel).

I admit, apples do cost somewhat more, but the difference when comparing two laptops that are identically spec'd isn't as large as you think. People perceive apple as being expensive because they don't offer "low end" machines. I.e. no celeron processors, no crt displays, etc.

I used to hate macs, until I actually used one(intel based). I'd suggest checking them out, they really are nice.

Do you compare the included software, warranties, shipping costs (if any), technical support and so on?

Sure did. Both have 1 year warranties.

Amazon shipping was $11 for 2 day air, Mac was free for ground, but charges a $212 tax fee, that amazon does not, bringing the Difference to $1600. The mac has no additional software installed. Also the hp has a free vista upgrade, a $250 value...Which brings the difference to a measly $1800.

Also the hp has 1 year tech support, the mac has 90 days.

Does it need to be ruled out right away because of the price?

Yes. I cant see any legit reason to throw away $2000.

Or does it need to be ruled out because a person replying to the question "doesn't like it" - without giving any reason for the dislike?

Let me give you my reason then. Why pay an extra $1000 so you can do what? Play with widgets? Macs software is no longer exclusive..and if it is you can get something just as good for xp. Hmm.. another reason is those stupid mac commercials saying how xp glitches. Not once have i had a problem with xp, On the other hand im always having problems with macs freezing up ect. What else? Well i guess most pc's aren't shiny. YEH i get to pay $1000 more to get a glossy white or gray computer. What else are good reasons to buy a mac? Well you get to deal with incompatibility issues. I hope you don't like using usb flash drives, tectonics's boards, or overhead projectors

vnf4ultra

Does the mac have a built in webcam, and mic? Does it have two 100 gig hardrives? No it has 1 160 gig. The hp also has a better video card, a 7600. We could sit here all day and pick out small differences, but in the end the hp is always going to be a $1000+ advantage.

With the amount of money you would save, you could get that laptop, and a c2d desktop with a e6700, 2 gigs of ddr2, a x1950xt vid card system, and it would still be less then the mac. I'll take that anyday.

Does the mac have a built in webcam, and mic?
Yes

Does it have two 100 gig hardrives? No it has 1 160 gig
Hp can put 2 hard drives in their laptop because it's frikin' huge. 2 small hard drives cost less. 2 100gb basic drives would be like $140 on newegg, 1 160gb seagate perpendicular recording(what's in the mac) costs $160. It's a faster and more advanced drive than the 100giggers in the hp. The hp does have 40gb more though, which is a plus.

I'd say x1600 is pretty similar to a 7600 though, with the 7600 slightly faster.

You remind me of myself back when I irrationally hated macs with a passion because I didn't have the facts.

Hp can put 2 hard drives in their laptop because it's frikin' huge.

it's frikin' huge.

Don't make me pull out my camera. It is half an inch thicker. Thats frikin' huge?

2 small hard drives cost less. 2 100gb basic drives would be like $140 on newegg, 1 160gb seagate perpendicular recording(what's in the mac) costs $160. It's a faster and more advanced drive than the 100giggers in the hp. The hp does have 40gb more though, which is a plus.

First, their both 5400 rpms...The same speed.Lets say you did want to upgrade to 200 gigs on the mac. Well, its gonna cost you an extra $100 (for 40 gigs more) AND its a slower hard drive..at only 4200 rpms.

You remind me of myself back when I irrationally hated macs with a passion because I didn't have the facts.

These are the facts, and the fact is is that your paying more for less.

No Offence to anyone who likes mac's, but Mac's cannot play pc games like battlefield and other games like that! I would never buy a mac!

People don't buy Macs to game..they buy macs to to stare at their glossy computer while drooling over how much money they just wasted.

I guess kitty500cat got enough replies. I'm closing this thread before the war gets too ugly. You just have to have the last word, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back