2. Yes

3 vote(s)
  3. No

3 vote(s)
  4. Are you crazy?

5 vote(s)
By cfitzarl
Feb 18, 2007
  1. I was just wondering; should I get Vista Home Premium?
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Yes. 99% of everything you do is still going to work, its not near as buggy as people would lead you to believe. Plus when something you want is for Vista only you don't have to go out and get Vista and then install it, you'll be all set already. Plus its time to quit using an OS that is 5+ years old.

*The above is purely opinion and I have no intention of defending any statements made.
  3. tomrca

tomrca TS Rookie Posts: 1,000

give it more time, SNGX1275 has just told you that it has bugs
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Complete guide as to which one to choose:

Ultimately, it's your decision based on many factors, including price and needs. But Vista Home Premium is certainly going to be the standard for most people.

As far as performance goes, benchmarks are mixed, but most people are saying there's no real benefit in moving to Vista at the moment.

5. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 822

No wait for a service pack to come out. Then its time to upgrade.
  6. excessumcarcer

excessumcarcer TS Rookie

I would highly suggest staying with XP Home or XP Pro. Vista is something I will personally never own. The problems they are having is the minor reason why. Stuff like, if you use a product, the company of that product can have low level access to your computer. The amount of security pop-ups you get is insane, and if you turn them off its useless. The fact that a computer that runs XP perfectly may be to weak to even run Vista at all. They took out an audio part that alot of games work, so you have to install a converter so Vista can read it. Its just too bloated. So, I would stay with XP.
  7. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,975   +9

The only problem I have is the fact that I'm a gamer, and pretty soon, games will only be in DX10, so I'll have to switch over, but I don't know when :) .
  8. excessumcarcer

excessumcarcer TS Rookie

I know the pain. That is why, when that time comes, I will have a computer built strictly for offline only use. Then I can use Vista without all the annoyances or anyone having the ability to access my computer. So, I guess I will own Vista eventually...but not for a while. I will wait till I am forced into it, but I definitely won't own it by choice.
  9. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

You should stay with XP. It is not going to be outdated soon, and should do everything Vista does (except DX10).

But it's your money and your decision. :)
  10. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

I won't get Vista (if I can help it) just for the included DRM. Certain video contents will not play on non-HDCP displays, certains audio contents will not play through an analog connection to speakers, etc.

Soon enough, Linux will be the only OS to use if you want to keep away from too-invasive DRM as MacOS also has such limitations.

RUDEBWOY TS Rookie Posts: 160

eh stay with xp vista has to many problems and nothing catches the eye but dx10 etc,to be honest don't get it just cause its the new os..And if you can you should try to test it some where so if you don't like you you woul not be wasting your money
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.