Should I go 1GB or 2GB...

By MetalX
Dec 30, 2006
  1. I can't decide... I can either go 1GB of really good quality PC3200 (OCZ Premier DDR400) at 2.5-3-3-7-1T dual channel or 2GB PC3200 (the 1GB of OCZ, and 1GB of no-name) at 3-4-4-8-2T dual channel. Anyone have any opinions? Also, If I up the voltage to 2.7v I can get 3-3-3-8-2T on the 2GB setup.
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

1. I don't ever recommend overclocking, especially with RAM.
    2. Performance increases are hardly noticable with faster ram. You're better off with more RAM.
    3. You won't notice much of a performace increase overall with more than 1gb of RAM anyway unless you video edit or play some select games.
    4. This belongs in the CPUs and Chipsets forum
  3. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,388

I know... I realized that just a few mins ago.. I dunno how the hell I screwed that up so much LOL.

I'm not really overclocking it, I'm just increasing the voltage by .1 so I can tighten the timings. If i brought it to 2.8, maybe I could get even tighter.

JW are Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, Oblivion, or Company of Heroes games that would be better on 2GB? Because I have Oblivion, and I am getting one of the Battlefields and Company of Heroes soon.
  4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

that's overclocking. Even small voltage increases generate heat and shorten life.

I'm not a big gamer, but I think a few like Battlefield work well with 2gb.
  5. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

Amen to that. I will never oveclock my memory, know matter how slow it becomes. This is the first "good" memory I have purchased. If your system will post with both memories, I would stick with that; there should be not that much of a difference in performance slowdown.
  6. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,388

Ok, thanks guys. I decided to go 2GB @ 3-4-4-8-2T @stock voltage. I have yet to notice a performance increase over 1GB of any kind...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.