Should I go 1GB or 2GB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalX

I can't decide... I can either go 1GB of really good quality PC3200 (OCZ Premier DDR400) at 2.5-3-3-7-1T dual channel or 2GB PC3200 (the 1GB of OCZ, and 1GB of no-name) at 3-4-4-8-2T dual channel. Anyone have any opinions? Also, If I up the voltage to 2.7v I can get 3-3-3-8-2T on the 2GB setup.

1. I don't ever recommend overclocking, especially with RAM.
2. Performance increases are hardly noticable with faster ram. You're better off with more RAM.
3. You won't notice much of a performace increase overall with more than 1gb of RAM anyway unless you video edit or play some select games.
4. This belongs in the CPUs and Chipsets forum

Tedster said:
1. I don't ever recommend overclocking, especially with RAM.
2. Performance increases are hardly noticable with faster ram. You're better off with more RAM.
3. You won't notice much of a performace increase overall with more than 1gb of RAM anyway unless you video edit or play some select games.
4. This belongs in the CPUs and Chipsets forum
I know... I realized that just a few mins ago.. I dunno how the hell I screwed that up so much LOL.

I'm not really overclocking it, I'm just increasing the voltage by .1 so I can tighten the timings. If i brought it to 2.8, maybe I could get even tighter.

JW are Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, Oblivion, or Company of Heroes games that would be better on 2GB? Because I have Oblivion, and I am getting one of the Battlefields and Company of Heroes soon.

that's overclocking. Even small voltage increases generate heat and shorten life.

I'm not a big gamer, but I think a few like Battlefield work well with 2gb.

Tedster said:
that's overclocking. Even small voltage increases generate heat and shorten life.

I'm not a big gamer, but I think a few like Battlefield work well with 2gb.

Amen to that. I will never oveclock my memory, know matter how slow it becomes. This is the first "good" memory I have purchased. If your system will post with both memories, I would stick with that; there should be not that much of a difference in performance slowdown.

Ok, thanks guys. I decided to go 2GB @ 3-4-4-8-2T @stock voltage. I have yet to notice a performance increase over 1GB of any kind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back