TechSpot

Should I go with Vista 32 bit or 64 bit ?

By agrevle77
Oct 27, 2007
  1. i have a e-machine whit a procesor intel pentium dual core 2.80 ghz 64 bits

what windows is the best for my cpu win 32 bits or win 64 bits

2. rogue12

rogue12 TS Member Posts: 47

3. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,425   +77

well the post of rogue12 extols the virtues of Windows 64-bit edition, not of 64-bit processors per se.

My opinion is 64-bit processors do not gain or lose anything important under any version of windows, but I stick my neck out and say 64-bit windows is a dead end. For one thing, there is not much support in the wider sense - drivers particularly, nor will there be, possibly for years.

4. agrevle77

agrevle77 TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for your hepl i keep whit my windows 32

5. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

u and me too, agrevle77.

6. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

If you plan to ever use more than 3 Gigs of ram then move to 64 bit

7. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,425   +77

8. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

I'd say it's the other way around. In Vista's case, for "Certified for Vista" it (software or hardware) needs to be compatible with both 32- and 64-bit versions.

There aren't many new CPUs that don't have 64-bit support - AMD doesn't make 32-bit only CPUs anymore (unless you count obscure embedded ones), Intel has only low-end Celerons without it.

If a device or an application doesn't work in 64-bit Vista (or XP), ask the manufacturer to support it. Otherwise they will never work as they think there's no demand.

9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

I agree with Mictlantecuhtli. 32bit almost has to die based purely on the increase in average amount of RAM installed on a system through the years. You should come back to your post in 2-3 years and see how many people build a new system (or buy) and put a 32bit OS on it compared to 64. On top of that you do see a performance increase if you run everything at 64bit, see the Crysis Review for preliminary results.

As for drivers, I really don't believe that is the case anymore. I think it is just an old argument that has stuck around. There are 64bit drivers for video cards, sound, NICs, pretty much everything that can be suffed on a motherboard. Perpherials might not all have drivers but if they were made within the last 2-3 years and are from a major company they probably do. I think not having a 64bit driver is far less common than having one.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.