Should I replace Windows Firewall with another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCTCJT

Hi again everybody...

Sorry if this question has been asked a zillion times before, but I've been reading as much as I can here on this stuff, and I'm still a bit confused...

Anyhow, should I continue using Windows Firewall, replace it with another, or run an additional firewall like COMONDO with Windows Firewall?

Also, if I update Malwarebytes to Real Time scanning, should I continue to use Windows Defender?

I don't mind running... and/or purchasing good software, I just don't want to bring the computer to it's knees with all this stuff running.

... should I continue using Windows Firewall, replace it with another, or run an additional firewall like COMONDO with Windows Firewall?
yes;
consider Comodo / Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4. These behave very similarly and have a training mode to LEARN your software. Pretty soon the prompting quites and they become silent until you perform some updates
Also, if I update Malwarebytes to Real Time scanning, should I continue to use Windows Defender?
One or the other but not both. Personally, I disable RTS.
I don't mind running... and/or purchasing good software, I just don't want to bring the computer to it's knees with all this stuff running.
Good for you!
Be sure to get Spywareblaster and update your HOSTS file (google for these)

Thanks jobeard

Let me see if I have this correctly... I should REPLACE Windows Firewall with a better one... correct?

I can use either Windows Defender OR Malwarebytes.

Why do you disable RTS? Wouldn't it be better to catch the malware/spyware before it gets on the machine? Is it because RTS slows down the machine/surfing?

Thanks again

Thanks jobeard

Let me see if I have this correctly... I should REPLACE Windows Firewall with a better one... correct?
nit picking; you don't replace it, just disable and use another.
Why? Comodo and Sunbelt are bidirectional controls, and until Win/7, MS FW is input only :(
Additionally, understand some primatives for FWs; you can filter on:
  • source ip
  • source port
  • destination ip
  • destination port
  • protocol (tcp,ip,udp)
  • input, output, or both
in addition, you can control the application which is allowed or denied!!
An identity theft virus would like to sent what the steal back home, and usually would use port 25 (for sending email) or even port 80 (the web browser port). With a good 3rd party FW, you will get a prompt that a new program is attempting to open (25,80) -- you should know enough that a) you've never see \temp\a98fgx.exe before and b) thus DENY it to open anything outbound. The MS Firewall can't do that for you -- ergo get another :)
I can use either Windows Defender OR Malwarebytes.

Why do you disable RTS? Wouldn't it be better to catch the malware/spyware before it gets on the machine?
yes, but RTS does not inhibit the download nor the install :(
We use a firewall to stop unsolicted access,
an LUA or UAC account to deny uncontrolled updates, a good A/V product to scan every install package to verify we trust it,
and then, With Sunbelt, we get to authorize the application replacement, update, or first launch.
Is it because RTS slows down the machine/surfing?
YES; it scans everything that is attempting to start

Thanks jobeard!

Yep, I meant install another Firewall, and "disable" Windows Firewall... I'm sure it would be pretty tough to actually "remove" it. :D

Thanks again.
You've been a big help.

We use a firewall to stop unsolicted access,
an LUA or UAC account to deny uncontrolled updates, a good A/V product to scan every install package to verify we trust it,
and then, With Sunbelt, we get to authorize the application replacement, update, or first launch.

jobeard,

What would an "LUA" or "UAC" be in COMODO?

oops, sorry about that; LUA & UAC are in Windows, not the firewall.
LUA stands for Limit User Account (XP) and UAC stands for User Access Control (Vista/Win7)

The bottom line is DON'T run day-to-day on the Internet using an Administrator account!

The bottom line is DON'T run day-to-day on the Internet using an Administrator account!

Thanks! That makes sense... and that's a rule that I break frequently. However, going forward, I will make it a point to break that rule only when necessary.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back