Should I see my router in My Network Places?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, apologies if this stuff is covered elsewhere. I did have a good browse using the search options but I couldn't find the info I needed :)

My question is this:

I have just bought a ZyXEL Prestige 650H/HW router and have two PC's connected to a DSL connection. One PC detects the connection just fine but the second one seems to only connect to the DSL connection intermittently. Sometimes I can browse the web and other times I can't.

I originally had a problem where my network card was assigning itself an IP address which was not compatible with the router so I changed to a static one but I still can't always connect.

I was wondering if I should be able to see my router in My Network Connections? I am running WinXP Home. All I see is my LAN and nothing else.

Is there any way I could set it up to show the router so I could at least check its connectivity status and maybe set to show an icon when connected to the net?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'd be happy to supply any other system info if you need.

Cheers :)

No, you shouldn't be able to see your router in "My Network Places", although some UnP Routers may offer this function.

You can test to see if your router is communicating with your computer by pinging its IP address.

You can also type in the router's IP address in Internet Explorer (Or any other web browser) and configure your router via a setup page.

But to get that IP address, you'll need to ask your manufacturer, search around on the web or find your manual.

Routers typically have an IP address of 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Once you determine what the IP is, you will type this IP into your Internet browser. You should be prompted for a username and password (may need to also consult your manual about the default user / password)

If you get no response, then your router is likely to blame. If you do get taken to the configuration page, then your modem or your router's DSL / Cable setup is probably to blame.

I can ping the router when I am connected but I just don't know how to connect. It seems that sometimes I log on and I am connected and oter times not.

I also cannot see the other PC from either computer at these times, suggesting the network is not even set up. But, again, at other times I do see the workgroup computers.

I was wondering if maybe my network card is to blame, since when I have it automatically assign an IP address it gives one that is outside the compatible range for the router. Even if I set one manually, it can't seem to keep it and keeps reverting to an automatic one...

One further thing: the PC that does connect without a problem has two LAN connections showing and these are bridged. One of these I am not even sure what it is. It is called "1394 Connection". Could the fact that these two are bridged be stopping the other PC from accessing the router? Although even if I disable the bridge I can't seem to get in..

Thanks again for any advice :)

1394 is your firewire card, firewire is a comptabile tcp/ip networking device therefore it will show up in Network Connections. Why it is bridges is because windows is ****ing retarded.

Trouble shooting steps:

1. reset TCP/IP networking stack: in CMD type/paste the following: netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

This will reset any TCP/IP network settings to default, and should also remove your "network bridge". If you are still experiencing difficulties then your card is fuxed one way or another.

2. Reinstall NIC drivers (NIC = Network Interface Card)

3. Replace NIC (should be able to get one for $15 or so bucks from your local POS computer store).

Also check that both systems are setup for the same workgroup:
START -> Control Panels -> System -> Computer Name -> Change -> Check Workgroup setting, change if required. Reset will be required for changes to come into effect.

Normally, you don't need the 1394 firewire device, so just DISABLE it.

If this breaks your access to the router, you need to reconfig the NIC card.
Using View Network Connections, right click on Lan, select Properties,
pull down to the TCP/IP, properties, select DHCP for both IP and DNS, click ok

connect the cable to the router, and in ~20 seconds, use run->cmd /k ipconfig /all
you should have an IP address, mask, gateway address, and one or two DNS addresses.

Now use ping $gateway-address and nothing should timeout.

Then use nslookup google.com ; you should again get an address an no timeout.

edit: once the NIC is configured, you can enable the 1394 device :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back