Should I? Shouldn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehacker

Hi, I have posted this very question is 2-3 threads but i didnt got the answer so i m posting it in a separate thread......
I have a pentium D rated 2.8 Ghz. I want to overclock it to 3.0 Ghz(by increasing FSB) with the STOCK COOLING(supplied with the processor). IDLE temp,i.e. 44 degree C(atmosphere temp is 30-33 C), at 2.8 and 3.0 doesnt vary much. And i havent measured the stress temp till now.
Then should i overclock it or not? Is this overclocking is not a LITTLE one than can be tolerated by the stock cooling? Plz help

Hi there

I don't see a problem there, though i would rather see the temp. of your computer 'under stress' instead of temp. when idle.

n.b. When i overclocked a 2.8 Ghz. Pentium D to 3.2 Ghz., taking one panel off the computer's case dropped the temp. as much as it was raised by the overclocking itself.

Greetings

Unless you're doing something special (like putting a table fan next to your comp), or did something stupid to start with (like having no fans in your computer), taking off one panel would increase temps instead of decrease it.

And as for 2.8 to 3.0ghz overclock, today, that would be considered nothing.

However, for your chip, its moderate. The effects are still quite small though.

But like Starless says, we'd rather measure your computer temps at load instead of at idle, because you're overclocking to get more power out of it, not overclocking to let it sit around doing nothing. And its when you use it that it heats up too much, and fails.

And I don't think anyone will recommend overclocking with the stock heatsink.

Taking the side of the case off can lower temps if you have horrid airflow, I've had that in some of my systems in the past :D

I think I have successfully overclocked my PC. I have tested it by stressing by Prime 95(for dual core versions). Screenshots attached. Now plz reply that shud I continue using my cpu at 3.12 or switch back to 2.8 or so.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 10
  • untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 7
  • untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 6
you should keep the side panel on, as it contributes to the airflow.. i.e. exhaust system (suck air in front... out back) wouldnt work as well with the panel off, thus increasing temperatures.

As for the overclock... go up in steps from the 2.8 and test it under load as you go.

also test with small fft's, and to ensure stability run orthos for at least a couple of hours. 6-8 hrs should be sufficient, but some people suggest 12hrs.

Notoriety and the Pentium D......

Pentium D CPUs seen to be notorious for running "very warm". 2.8Ghz to 3.0Ghz is less than a 7% overclock, which I doubt would directly correlate to a 7% boost in system performance, why bother?
Air like electricity takes the path of least resistance. Therefore, with the side of the case removed, the HSF will just suck the hot air off the motherboard. (It's closer than the air outside the case. This holds especially true in the case of cases with side air ducts. The duct "baffles" the fan, and forces it to draw cool air from the outside of the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back