Should I switch to ADSL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbgsus

Right, I live in the UK and am with Virgin Media

they provide me with a 4MB/s down 37KB/s upstream CABLE service
I get the broadband for about £18...
(also included is a TV package and Phone package, bringing the monthly bill to around £55)

Virgin (or NTL as it was previously known) aren't rated very highly among other users, but i've never had any problems with them - I have never been traffic shaped or capped... I have also always got 4 meg down and 37 KB/s up.

The problem is, I was looking around the net the other day and stumbled across a list of highly rated broadband providers. 'Be' was top of the list.

now they provide a 24MB/s down and 1.3MB/s upstream ADSL service... charging the same price: £18. They also say it's unlimited usage.

I was just wondering if it would be worth switching? So I could get more for my money... Can anybody who uses Be recommend them?

bearing in mind that I would have to switch phone providers to BT and pay them for line rental. I know for a fact I dont live very far at all from an exchange, so I would get a pretty decent ADSL service if I was to switch.
I also realise that I probably wouldnt get the full 24meg, but I presume it would be more than 4meg at least, for the same price?

cheers

A good broadband cable system is capable of more than twice what you get with an ADSL.

Get an existing connections bo both Broadband and ADSL of a friend, then use Internet Frog to test the speeds... realizing that Broadband can be purchased as
1 mbps
1.5 mbps
2.048 mbps
4 mbps
6.312 mbps
10 mbps
34.367 mbps
45 mpbs
100 mbps
155 mbps
and
274 mbps.