should I upgrade windows 98 to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizardtres

My computer has windows 98, 40 gb HD 256 MB RAM, 64 MB video card. It runs fine but I was wondering if I upgrade to windows XP will it slow down its performance and if it does, does it compensate for the stability that XP offers.

I forgot to say that it has an AMD 450 MHz processor.

Your PC meets the standard requirements to run Win XP, but it will indeed struggle! Give it some much needed RAM and you should get away with it for a while.
Upgrade it ... I have never upgraded Win 98 to Win XP but I have always wanted to!

Let us know how you go :grinthumb

Well, for old hardware like that I would recommend Linux, but if you're too used to Windows or if you use any programs that are Windows-only, maybe it could be a good idea to try XP. In any case it couldn't hurt to try.

mikescorpio81 said:
Your PC meets the standard requirements to run Win XP, but it will indeed struggle! Give it some much needed RAM and you should get away with it for a while.
Upgrade it ... I have never upgraded Win 98 to Win XP but I have always wanted to!

Let us know how you go :grinthumb

Even with a memory upgrade, Xp would still be "laggy" due to the speed of the processor as well, which bottlenecks the operating systems performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back