Should I wait for the Core 2 E6230 and E6420??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hello people,

I just saw that there will be new Core 2 Duo processors later this year. They will be the Core 2 Duo E6320 and the E6420. They're rumored to cost less than 200 bucks, and have a 4MB L2 cache.

But I saw some benchmarks in THIS site, and found out that the extra L2 cache doesn't make too much difference in gaming. (Anyway, I should invest more money on a better videocard and more RAM, I think that should make more difference :))

I am (was) interested in the E6320, but I may have to wait several months (I'm very impatient), and then I wouldn't like to find out that it wasn't worth the wait.

What would you do,
Get a normal E6300, and overclock it like hell to more than 2.3-2.4 Ghz (almost to E6600 levels :p)
or wait a LONG time for the E6320?

Also, I'd have to wait for motherboard support for this new CPU....

Should I get now the E6300?

Hmm i've been using "normal" E6300 and it seems to be good.
I think you could wait for E6320 IF you have no prob with current system.

Difference in L2 Cache is similar to Celeron vs Centrino and Celeron vs Pentium. (Some models only)

My last suggestion is, trust your ears, if you really2 need it now, then just buy it. no regret should be made if you're really impatient :)

I think you could wait for E6320 IF you have no prob with current system.

That's the problem. My current system sucks, because it only has 512 MB of RAM :(

My last suggestion is, trust your ears, if you really2 need it now, then just buy it. no regret should be made if you're really impatient

Maybe yes, I'll get the E6300. It's an excellent processor, and has a great overclocking potential. I'm pretty sure it won't be outdated soon ;)

Thanks for the reply. Now I've gotta order the RAM and mobo first..... :)

Regards :wave:

One, word...overclocking. If if will be very cheap, I would personally wait; although if you can't wait, buy the E6300 and overclock it...Good Luck :wave: !

I'm waiting around for a PCI 2.0 mobo with the new C2D before upgrading. I'd say wait as well unless you really can't stand your system (maybe just get some ram to tide you over)?

Hmm, when are the PCI-E 2.0 Mobos coming out? For that matter, when is DDR3 coming out :suspiciou ?

I think a E4300 would be a great choice. I may get one to replace my E6300. With the 9x multiplier it will overclock better with my rig.

Check out the Q2 price drops:

pricecuts.jpg

DDR3 will come out with the higher end Bear Lake chipsets (the three series), probably in Q3-07.

Boogityboo04 said:
I think same with PCIE2.0

That's what I would have thought. Of course, that means new systems for all of the tech enthusiasts (except me :haha: ).

cfitzarl said:
One, word...overclocking. If if will be very cheap, I would personally wait; although if you can't wait, buy the E6300 and overclock it...Good Luck :wave: !

I am going to do that. I will get a better HSF (AC Freezer 7), and overclock it to at least 2.3-2.4 Ghz. In fact, I've just ordered the mobo and RAM. :)

And it appears that we will be able to use a PCI-E X16 card on a PCI-E 2.0 slot, am I correct?

wolfram said:
And it appears that we will be able to use a PCI-E X16 card on a PCI-E 2.0 slot, am I correct?

Yes, the PCI-E 2.0 slot will be completely backwards compatible to the PCI-E X16 slot. Good thing; I don't plan on dumping my vid card anytime soon :D .

Geesh

The 8800GTX is bottlenecked by anything less than a E6700 or E6600. Are we not getting ahead of ourself with PCI-E 2.0 LoL ?? As powerful as the midgrade C2D's are I still dont think they would be able to match the performance specs that PCI-E 2.0 has to bring to the table. By the time there are CPU's that can deal with that kinda output it will be time to upgrade again your motherboard to support the new CPU's, so I really dont think that you would have to worry too much about a 2.0 capable board.....

Christ I have a 8800GTX and a E6600 and let me tell you at 1680x1050 for every 100mhz I oc my CPU I get atleast a 5 FPS raise in games....So that tells ya somthing about how much the new video tech is going to be dependent on FAST FAST FAST CPU's.....

Ugh this thread is really making me feel like my system is outdated. Maybe I'll get a C2D in the summer... BTW where do you people get your money from!?!?

LoL

I have been saving overtime up for a rainy day, well it rained last week.

Thats how I got my new 22" monitor, Core 2, Mobo and Memory.... Plus I sold my old Mobo, CPU and Mem for $300 so it wasnt too hard on the pocket.

Plus according to your profile your only 14, your not sappost to have any money.....

I have shoes older than you and they dont have money or computers :D

I'm only 16 years old, and I have a hard time getting money for my future PC. I have to get 190 bucks more for the CPU :(

But I may get a cheap Celeron CPU, just to make it work until I get the C2D :)

And BTW, I sold my old system, that REALLY helped a lot :) :) :)

Actually I still have this system. I will sell some parts to my dad, and will give them to him when I receive the newer ones. And I will sell some old RAM to my uncle too :)

I "sold" the processor and motherboard for $60, and the two sticks of RAM for $100 bucks.

But I still don't know how the ****ing hell I will get the money for the CPU :)

Fortunately, my mom is gonna help me with that :)

BTW where do you people get your money from!?!?

And how did you get the money for that 7950GT?!?!

wolfram said:
Actually I still have this system. I will sell some parts to my dad, and will give them to him when I receive the newer ones. And I will sell some old RAM to my uncle too :)

I "sold" the processor and motherboard for $60, and the two sticks of RAM for $100 bucks.

But I still don't know how the ****ing hell I will get the money for the CPU :)

Fortunately, my mom is gonna help me with that :)

And how did you get the money for that 7950GT?!?!
A little something called "Christmas and rich aunts and uncles."

Mirob said:
I think a E4300 would be a great choice. I may get one to replace my E6300. With the 9x multiplier it will overclock better with my rig.

Hey, I just saw some benchmarks, and saw the AMAZING overclocking potential of the E4300.
Just making it run at the standard E6300 1066 FSB, it will run at 2.39 Ghz!!! My mobo (GA-965P-S3) should be able to handle it :) :)

If I wanted to overclock the E6300 to 2.3 Ghz, I would need to make the FSB run at 330 Mhz. At 330 Mhz FSB, a E4300 would run at 2.9 Ghz!!!!!

I'm going to get a Celeron D CPU right now, and then wait for the price drop. It is rumored to cost 133 bucks later this year.

No E6300 for me.

E4300 Is available for retail at newegg. Since i have some money in paypal (~100$) I may get a overclocking board, but then i need a cooler, because i sold my ninja! So no overclocking for me until i do an overhaul :), maybe towards then end of DDR2 AMD will come up with something, or Pentium 5 based on core architecture :).

Even if it's based on Core architecture, I don't want anything with Pentium in its name. Pentium 4 was a miserable failure. Especially Prescott.

Well, the other 3 werent so bad, i doubt they will abandon the Pentium name, and I doubt they will reuse netburst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back