Showtime to undercut HBO, will offer standalone streaming service for $10.99/month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

showtime hbo cable streaming cbs cord cutters cord cutter ott

Showtime parent company CBS Corporation is making good on its promise to offer the premium network via standalone streaming subscription. The service, which will debut on July 12, is being branded simply as “Showtime” and will go toe-to-toe with rival HBO’s over-the-top offering.

Like the competition, Showtime’s first partner will be Apple. Subscribers will have access to every season of original Showtime content in addition to hundreds of hours of movies, documentaries and sports programming in its back catalog on Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and online at showtime.com.

A subscription will also include access to live broadcasts of the east and west coast feeds of Showtime.

Most importantly, however, is the price. Showtime will be offered for $10.99 per month, a good bit cheaper than the $14.99 HBO Now commands.

Some may argue that HBO’s lineup of original content such as Game of Thrones is superior to Showtime’s offering and thus, worth the extra four bucks a month. For those unfamiliar, some of the broadcaster’s current hits include Ray Donovan, Shameless and Masters of Sex. Ultimately, it’ll be up to consumers to decide who has the best lineup based squarely on personal preference.

Showtime is offering new customers a free 30-day trial when signing up through Apple starting next month. Naturally, there’s no commitment and a cable subscription isn’t required which makes it yet another attractive offer for cord cutters.

Permalink to story.

A single company with limited selection for $11 a month or $15 a month, I choose neither. I pay for Netflix, if it's not on there, I'll torrent it. Make Hulu available in Canada, and I would pay for that as well. Currently I pay for Google Music, Netflix, and HockeyStreams, everything else I torrent or stream freely.

Guest,

So because you disagree with the price you believe it is fine then to illegally steal what you want? I hope someone decides they want something of yours and takes it by force...

Three words... Game of Thrones. Don't got it? Then it's a tough sell.

Back