Shrinking and converting my copyright free dvds to avi/mp4 using Linux

Hi people, I would like to copy my dvds onto my hd in either avi or mp4 format while at the same time shrinking them down to a more manageable size (1gb or less) so I am able to watch them on my TV.
I was able to do this successfully on my previous windows machine but could do with some help on my Linux Ubuntu install as I have now ditched Microsoft products.

So to recap.

I need means to rip, resize, and convert my dvds onto my hd into avi/mp4 format please.

P.S. I am not looking for instruction to do anything illegal. I will only use it to copy dvds that allow such use.

Thanks

^ Yep, that is the answer. I'm 95% certain any other solution that is currently out there at the date of this posting is not as simple to use for the same quality results. And since handbrake is a fancy front end for ffmpeg, you can make it as complicated as you want by entering in all the ffmpeg command line stuff if you want - so I don't know at this time that you will find anything that will give you any higher quality results either.

Handbrake is definitely capable, thank you both for recommending. Also I found another programme that works just as well called acidrip, It also rips to .AVI files which some might prefer.
Also if anyone reading this has any trouble ripping certain dvds using either programmes you should
" sudo apt-get install libdvdread4 "
then
" sudo /user/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh "
Reboot and now handbrake and acidrip should work fine because the css will be broken automatically.

Adding the above commands also seems to be a fix for certain dvds not playing on Ubuntu machine.

Hope this helps someone.

I am now able to convert my dvds to mpeg, .mkv and .avi, which is great! Now I have another problem :/ I will start a new thread though.

Back