shutdown command

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephisto_007

I've always wanted to ask this question, we're using window XP for all computers that hook up to a "WORKGROUP" network... Some Computers I am able to use the "SHUTDOWN - I" command to shut down any particular computers, but some doesn't... What is the most likely cause?

I'm pretty sure there're no one who know how to that... since I did most restriction to block users from accessing it...

Windows XP has a little bit of security surrounding remotely shutting down machines. To be sure that you are able to shut down a machine over the network you nee3d one of two things - either administrative network access to the target machine, or for the target machine to be set to allow guest shuntdown.

Myself, I eventually opted for creating a shortcut that shut down the machine I wanted, and ran it as administrator to use it.

Hey cozofdeath that command only work with local computer right? cannot be use over the network, remotely?

When I use "shutdown - i" it do not give me the optional to use "F" only giving the Computer Name, Option to restart or shutdown, Timing, and Reason of Act...

well, for the shortcut trick to work, you may need to have an administrative account on the target machine with a username and password that matches one on the machine you're using.

Never the less, to cretae shuch a shortut, just rightclick on the desktop and select "new"->"shortcut"

when prompted for the shortcut path, write out the command in full.

to run the shorcut as an administrative account, right click on it, click on the shortcut tab, and click the "advanced" button. Check the "run with different credentials box, hit ok, and then hit apply and ok on the shortcut tab.

Each time you rightclick the shortcut from then on you will have the option to "Run As...". Select this option, choose the administrative account which you would like to run it with, enter the password, and away it runs.

As for the precise command, I've forgotten whether I used tsshutdn or shutdown myself, but if you're having trouble knowing which to use and with which switches, I'll fire up my second machine and get it for you

ANother (rather insecure) way of doing it, is to allow guests on the remote machine to "force shutdown from remote system". Do this by going to

administrative tools -> Local security policies -> user rights assignment -> and add the guest account to the policy "force shutdown from remote system"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back