Shutdown due to overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking the other posts here and haven't found anything that would answer my question. I am new to the forums here, so figured I would just ask. Two days ago my computer shut itself off while I was playing WoW. The computer will not restart at all. I get no sound or fan movement of any kind when I try to turn it on. No indicator lights on the front of the machine, but the light for the ethernet card does come on. I'm assuming that my motherboard and processor are probably fried. My question is what other components have possibly lost from this? Is the hardrive, ram, and videocard salvagable? It is an older computer, at least 5 years old. The video card and ram are not even a year old. I am considering trying to fix another older computer, simply because I can't afford to build a new one. Anyway, I was just curious as to what I lost from this. I know you can never know for sure without having looked at the machin, but I figure most of you vets here would have a better idea of what I'm looking at. I appreciate any help or info that you can give me on this!

Assume nothing. Test everything.
It could be any one unit, or it could be as you suspect, the motherboard.
But it could also be the cpu fan, the power supply, the graphics card, a memory module, hard drive, etc.
You can test them one at a time by exchanging out parts, or moving some of these parts to another computer.
First, though, we need the answer Tmagic650 requested of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back