Shuttle releases new compact gaming rig, J3-5800G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Although E3 news is overwhelmingly comprised of console updates, accessories and software titles, the year's biggest video game conference inevitably calls PC makers and peripheral companies out to play. As such, Shuttle has taken the opportunity to roll out a new gaming rig, which supposedly already has enthusiasts, scientists, and corporate execs lining up.

The J3-5800G can be filled with your choice of a quad or hexa-core Intel Core i7 processor, GPUs ranging from the GeForce 9500GT to the GTX 480, and 4GB or 8GB of DDR3 RAM (16GB is supported but not sold by Shuttle it seems). You can add up to two storage drives with several mechanical and solid-state options available, as well as a DVD burner, Blu-ray reader or writer.

I/O includes dual gigabit Ethernet, 10 USB 2.0 ports (one eSATA combo), a 4-in-1 card reader, and an optional wireless antenna. All of that and more is packed into a chassis measuring 8.5 x 7.5 x 13.1 inches. By comparison, the popular full tower HAF 932 is 21.5 x 9 x 22.5 inches, and the mid-tower HAF 922 is 19.7 x 10 x 22.2 inches.

The J3-5800G is currently listed on Shuttle's online store with a starting price of $1,900 – and the luxuries add up quick. For example, a GTX 470 or 480 tacks on $480-$700.

Permalink to story.

It goes up $700 for a gtx480? Surely it would be cheaper to not get it and buy it separately?

I believe they need do need the apple logo, and proper enthusiasts would build a rig which is way more powerful and without being pre-loaded with rubbish software for a lower price?

The sound of "COMPACT" and "GAMING" don't sound so good to me, sure its high end, but what about cooling?

The cooling aspects is not as hard as it sounds especially if you try to use direct venting, or liquid cooling with 1/4" tubes or copper piping (still relatively difficult in comparison to a desktop considering how packed this thing will be). My question is how they manage to fit a Power supply strong enough to power the graphics card alone. I can't imagine a full ATX or even modified ATX style power supply fitting in a form factor that small. I managed in Sketchup to do essentially the same thing (with a 5870 rather than a 480) in a 12"x12"x6.5" ish box with a full sized power supply, and I thought THAT was small. =)

Shuttle SilentX 400w power supply in my Shuttle SP35P2 Pro runs:
Q6600 @ 3Ghz
4Gb OCZ PC6400
XFX ATI Radeon HD5850 (850/1200)
500Gb Samsung Spinpoint HD
Sony Optiarc 24X DVD-RW

No problem for its PSU. I've now owned at least 3 Shuttle units, and had top end or near top end equipment in all of them and never had any power issues.
Only reason I opted for 5850 is that the 5870 was hard to fit in. Involved modding the HSF sleeve or the mobo power connector which is a little in the way.

As to the cooling they usually employ a heatpipe cooling system.

"Shuttle's patented Heatpipe Cooling technology with variable speed control automatically ensures maximum system stability and quiet operation in this aluminium Shuttle Mini-PC. Instead of swirling around the chassis, as is the case with conventional solutions, the warm air is specifically transferred out of the chassis."

Hey Guys --

@Arris is right on.

Shuttle not only designs and manufactures the barebone PC itself, but Shuttle also created a heat-pipe/cooling solution to cool all the high-end components you throw at it.

As long as it's validated, it'll work in the unit. I know a lot of people are conditioned to think that a 500W PSU can only handle this or that -- it's because not all PSUs are 'created equal'. Not all PSUs are more than 80% efficient, with one of the highest 80 PLUS certifications.

Shuttle has controlled this quite well, so as long as you have a Shuttle 500W 80 PLUS power supply in your high end box, i.e. as with the J3 5800G or J3 5800P, it'll handle all the high-end components that we promote it will handle. It's just THAT efficient!

Plus, you can always call the support team at 626-820-9000 during the normal business hours if you have any other questions before you buy. You can also call the same number and speak with one of the sales people to help you put together a quote for what you want.

@JaniceAtShuttle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back