Sick of Windows XP, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

K0n5t4nt

So sick of windows and all the crap thats loaded and blah blah blah. The thing is that I play all the newer games BF2, WoW, CSS, etc. Is there a way fror me to use Linux exclusively without even using Microsoft and still play all my fav games? Are there Linux versions available or some software that lets you play them on a linux machine

Are you sure that it's really XP that your sick of... Or all the crap that store bought computers come with?

Its true.. good thinking Tmagic. He could be slightly (majorly) inexperienced and not know how to properly 'tune' his windows "experience" (hehehe)

K0n5t4nt said:
BF2, WoW, CSS, etc. Is there a way fror me to use Linux exclusively without even using Microsoft and still play all my fav games? Are there Linux versions available or some software that lets you play them on a linux machine
Battlefield 2 and World of Warcraft are officially supported by Transgaming, so they work with Cedega.

I'd imagine Counter-Strike:Source works too, as I've played Half-Life 2 and HL2: Episode 1 with Cedega as well.

TransGaming Inc.

971.jpg

That is cool.

Just hope you're not spoiled by great performance from your games in Windows. Been a long time since I've used the windows emulators or not emulators in linux but the performance was never quite the same. If that's not an issue then go for cedega, but I really think you should look into cleaning up your Windows installation instead and if you're really just going to game on it then do just that. It's likely some of your other activities on the computer are causing the poor performance you're seeing.

Tmagic650 said:
Are you sure that it's really XP that your sick of... Or all the crap that store bought computers come with?

My PC isn't store bought I bought components all separatly and put together myself. (Specs in Sig) I have gotten rid of IE7 and use Firefox I have tune my PC according to

http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

I am going to look into Cedega and see if it will be suitable for me

Some people just hate Windows and Microsoft... and Symantec. That's just the way the World is. I like IE7 but I don't like tabbed browsing. I turned it off.

K0n5t4nt,
are you happier with your XP system now? Still going with Linux?

Good luck in whatever you decide

Well I don't want to just jump in I am going to take my second PC and try Linux on it. (You see I'm not familiar with it at all) Gonna try it on that PC to teach myself the working of Linux. Once I educate myself on Linux I may make the switch but not before. I won't give up something that I know well enough(XP) for something I have never experienced (Linux). I will keep forum updated on my progress with this endeavor. Thanks for help and advice all. Last thing what distribtion of Linux is good for a beginner and do i need anything besides some Linux CD's?

Ubuntu is a good linux for beginners, but so is suse. Your mp3s and most videos won't work off the start, and you'll have to get different video drivers because the ones that come with the distro are terrible.

Note that Cedega isn't free (free software seems to be a big deal with many Linux users).

If you want to run Windows applications for free, use Wine instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back