Sid Meier's Civilization VI is coming this October

Scorpus

Staff member

One of the most popular strategy game series is receiving a new installment later this year, with Firaxis Games announcing Sid Meier's Civilization VI today, complete with juicy details on what the game will bring.

Perhaps the biggest change from Civilization V to VI is what Firaxis calls 'unstacking the cities'. Rather than having every single element of a city in the one tile, new elements that you build will be spread out across the landscape, which creates more varied environments and more interesting ways to play.

With the unstacking of cities, it will become important to manage the land at your disposal, and take advantage of geographical elements. For example, placing a scientific campus near a rainforest might give bonuses that wouldn't be available if it was placed deeper into a city.

Civilization VI will see the tech tree tied more closely to the map and in-game situations: if you don't have access to a quarry, you might find it hard to research masonry; or if you haven't found the ocean, it might be impossible to undertake naval research. This differs from previous Civilizations where gamers could choose basically any tech to research at any point.

Firaxis will also be improving the AI in Civilization VI to make different civilizations and leaders feel more varied, and diplomacy will also be overhauled in a way that hasn't been detailed just yet.

Civilization VI will launch on October 21 for Windows, with version for OS X and Linux coming in the future.

Permalink to story.

Love Sid's stuff .... sure wish he would do an update to that GOLF game he did. I still have a copy and play it from time to time ....

If they keep trying to turn Civilization into Panzer General the new game will suck just as bad as Civ V. No unit stacking? 10 minute turns? Screw that.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out on this one, need to know more before making any kind of commitment. Beyond Earth was a huge disappointment, I'm intrigued by the idea of a sprawling city instead of a single tile city that is surrounded by nothing but farms, mines, lumber mills and plantations. This might mean a new tile system to allow for this, possibly much bigger maps with faster movement, which would be required. Tech trees that adapt to your surroundings is also a neat idea, although it's something that I already do. Finally the enhanced AI is a must, diplomacy is such a pain in the *** in Civ 5, the AI just wants everything you have and usually has nothing to offer you other than they will turn on you when the moment is inopportune for you, almost as if they always know what your doing and are one step ahead of you. The only way I have found around this is playing with another human that you can strategize with outside of the game and only once you've built up a substantial lead can you go around taking over the map, but at that point turns can take way too long and waiting around becomes a chore and not an enjoyable part of the game.

If they keep trying to turn Civilization into Panzer General the new game will suck just as bad as Civ V. No unit stacking? 10 minute turns? Screw that.

No unit stacking wasn't the problem with Civ 5. Sure Unit stacking made moving your army very easy but it forced you into playing the game one way. The only problem is, as you said, it takes allot of time to move each unit. If the above is true in the press release, it seems they fixed that issue with formations.

I wonder who they're going to get to do the voice over voice.

Samuel L Jackson?

I'll be sure to keep an eye out on this one, need to know more before making any kind of commitment. Beyond Earth was a huge disappointment, I'm intrigued by the idea of a sprawling city instead of a single tile city that is surrounded by nothing but farms, mines, lumber mills and plantations. This might mean a new tile system to allow for this, possibly much bigger maps with faster movement, which would be required. Tech trees that adapt to your surroundings is also a neat idea, although it's something that I already do. Finally the enhanced AI is a must, diplomacy is such a pain in the *** in Civ 5, the AI just wants everything you have and usually has nothing to offer you other than they will turn on you when the moment is inopportune for you, almost as if they always know what your doing and are one step ahead of you. The only way I have found around this is playing with another human that you can strategize with outside of the game and only once you've built up a substantial lead can you go around taking over the map, but at that point turns can take way too long and waiting around becomes a chore and not an enjoyable part of the game.

Yeah, the city system sounds pretty awesome. Now instead of having generic city #30, each city will be different based on it's geography. I hope that they are going to extend this to defense as well. It would be really interesting to see how walls and other defensive structures come into effect.

IMO, the AI was a far worse problem then the lack of unit stacking. Incompetent AI is CIV V's biggest issue, and one they hopefully fix this time around.

IMO, the AI was a far worse problem then the lack of unit stacking. Incompetent AI is CIV V's biggest issue, and one they hopefully fix this time around.

I haven't liked CIV since CIV II Gold, which in my opinion, was the greatest game ever made. The problem with all subsequent iterations was each move and each change you make in production, etc, took FOREVER. The graphics were nice but in a strategy game such as this it should be secondary to speed and ease of play...

I haven't liked CIV since CIV II Gold, which in my opinion, was the greatest game ever made. The problem with all subsequent iterations was each move and each change you make in production, etc, took FOREVER. The graphics were nice but in a strategy game such as this it should be secondary to speed and ease of play...

Civ 4 was actually quite good, particularly with the Warlords expansion. Beyond the Sword was mostly just a bunch of free mods that Firaxis stole and then charged money for but it did add a handful of new content. That was really the beginning of a long downward spiral for them, IMO.

No unit stacking wasn't the problem with Civ 5. Sure Unit stacking made moving your army very easy but it forced you into playing the game one way. The only problem is, as you said, it takes allot of time to move each unit. If the above is true in the press release, it seems they fixed that issue with formations.

How did stacking force you play any particular way? You could have as many stacks as you liked composed of whatever unit mix you desired. The only thing it really did was make things far more convenient and believable. Its ridiculous to have a game where only ONE type of unit can inhabit a map tile. Now, I *would* rather like to see a "logistics points" system that limited the total amount of units you can put on a tile (there was a game in the 90's that had this but for the life of me I can't remember which).

How did stacking force you play any particular way? You could have as many stacks as you liked composed of whatever unit mix you desired. The only thing it really did was make things far more convenient and believable. Its ridiculous to have a game where only ONE type of unit can inhabit a map tile. Now, I *would* rather like to see a "logistics points" system that limited the total amount of units you can put on a tile (there was a game in the 90's that had this but for the life of me I can't remember which).

There's no point to making multiple stacks of units in Civ 4. If you stacked all units into one title the game will always put the strongest unit in the stack vs the attacker. Moving units into multiple stacks hurts your chances of winning. In addition, great generals give their bonus to the entire stack and many unit abilities, like medic, heal units in the stack. You have 5 guys with medic and your stack pretty much fully heals each turn. If you aren't playing this way then you are going to lose on higher difficulties.

Back