Silent cooling advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there all,

I have an AMD XP2000+, which is running a bit hotter than it should be - 50degrees, rising to 55 to high 50s when under load (3d games etc).

To try cooling the thing down, I upgraded the CPU heatsink/fan a while back to a coolermaster one capable of taking a 3200+ processor, and it has a silent fan on it. This made a little difference (it was running about 5degrees hotter before).

I then added an 80mm exhaust fan. This seems to do absolutely nothing for temperature. Ive disconnected it today and the temp is the same!!!

What is the best way to get the temp lower, but maintain quiet running? I was thinking of getting 2 vantec stealth fans - one for exhaust, one for sucking air in (which i currently dont have). Possibly a Zalman silent cooler of some sort. Id like to do some mild overclocking of the CPU if i get the temp down..

PS the PSU is a 300Watt standard one, but it pretty quiet. Ive been told that a better CPU will be cooler as the system draws less current and runs cooler - is there any truth in this? Or is it just a better PSU works kess hard so less heat?

Any advice on what ive suggested?

Thanks,

Steve

Yep, that is the zalman i was after.

Not sure if they will fit on my mobo though, ill have to check that out. Might swap the fan on my current heatsink for a silent vantec also and see how things go first.

Zalman lists mobo compatibility on their site.

You really have to make a choice: low temps or quietness. You can't have both on air cooling. Your case should have front intake, rear exhaust and side in/out. If not, I'd look for a better one with 120mm in and out. Still, the room temp plays a rule in cooling. If room temp is 26'c, I can't possibly get below that or the same in my PC without A/C. I leave the window open a bit while computing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back