Silentest Nvidia 6800GT?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzz234

Hey all,

Im new here, first post.

Ive been building for 4 years now, try to keep up with everything, but its expsensive!..

Im looking into 6800GTs, have been for a about 3 months now, money issues being at uni(!)

Im wondering what is the quietest 6800GT anyone has seen in operation, and the manufacture of them. I noticed that Gigabyte do a version (non reference board) with the heatsink. is this any good and which card is the quiestest.

I am looking into the silent aspect, as i run a Shuttle SN95G5, if anyone has one, then u'll know that these things are silent as anything! so theres no need to ruin that. therefore (as all GPU's make noise) which is the quiestest youve seen?

many thanks

Buzz

Thanks for your help..

But, Im in the UK so i cant look at oversea products, plus im using a shuttle rig guys! Space is limited! lol.

Which 6800GT is the best performer at the moment would you all say?

I've got a BFG 6800GT OC, and I can't say if it's the best performer, but it's doing a great job for me, plays all game great at high quality settings. I don't bother to do benchmarks.

It's the dual fan settup, and it seems a whole lot quieter than my old 9700 Pro. BUT, I also installed a new Antec power supply at the same time, and it's quieter also. I don't know which made the most difference.

Edit: I don't know if you can get this in the UK though.

Evga 6800 GT

Hi their...not sure how the availability is over where you are....I just put together a new system around New Years. Here on Vancouver Island the new 68oo GT was a little difficult to get.

I ended up getting an EVGA 6800 GT....as for the BFG OC version....?..well...seems you spend an extra $100 to have the Manufactorer Overclock the card.
I downloaded Coolbits and am presently runnng my Gt at Ultra speeds. 410 Mhz / 1.1 Ghz respectively.
Seems to run stable althoguh I have had HL2 crash twice in a couple of months af gaming.
I beleieve that the HL2 "crashes" are a software problem though.

BTW...I paid $519 CDN for the EVGA Card 3 months ago.

Cheers

Hey People,

To throw my 2 cents in, I am from Canada, I have a BFG 6800GT OC with the custom heat sink(Dual Fan) and it cost the same as the Evga at the time I bought it. I also have an Antec Truepower power supply and I think the combination of PSU and Video card is amazing, it does not make any more noise then my old system,(AMD 1800xp and geforce 4 ti 4400) but with a hell of alot more performance. My system is for music and games and it does both amazing. The small overclock from BFG is not a big deal but the warranty and support is. If you want a big software bundle stay away from this card, it gives you the bare minimum, if you want performance and support I would highly recommend it. This is my first BFG card and they have made a fanboy out of me. Till Next time.

In my experience get any 6800 GT and put the artic silencer cooler NV5 which costs for roughly $21 US (search the net). This cooler is extremely quiet and will give you better cooling than the stock heat sink so you can overclock your video card. I have my video card running at 420 / 1130. Even though the BFG is a very good and reliable card i dont believe in paying more to get a mannufacturer overclocked card that i can perform myself. You can pretty much go with any company except XFX cuz i read some complaints about them in various forums. The artic silencer set up takes 5 mins to install and come with directions and thermal paste and its noise level is measured in 0.9 sone and not decibels. If you are looking for a quiet solution for your 6800 GT nothing beats this and it provides better cooling than the stock heat sink with almost no noise. :wave:

GDDR 512 MB said:
....as for the BFG OC version....?..well...seems you spend an extra $100 to have the Manufactorer Overclock the card.
My BFG 6800 GT OC, cost exactly the same as the regular 6800 GT's. And as said above, it came with no extras at all, but does have the lifetime warranty. The overclock may not be that much, but for the same price, why not.

The BFG

I'm just curious......have you tried installing CoolBits..and see what you can get out of the Bad Boy???
On my Evga I was able to get to 410 Mhz (Core) and 1.12 Ghz (Memory) before I started getting "articles" and strange things on the screen going on.....then just backed off a bit!
On my system I ran a Test on 3DMark 2005 ....stock I scored 4557 and Overclocked I scored 5167.....

Prsently I run it stock as I want as much life out of this baby as is possible...hahahahha

Like yourself Doom3, HL2, Far Cry when running make the cost of the 6800 GT irrelevant!!

Hey...my first com was a Macintosh Performa with a screamer Poer PC Processor @ 90 Mhz, 16 MB RAM and a 4 MB Vid Card....:)

Used to run the original Doom very well..hahahahah

Cheers
B

Warranty n Support??

I'm just curious.....I've had 3 different comps in last few years...along with various Vid Cards (upgrades etc....)...I'm I the only one whom has never gone back to the Vid Card Manufactorer for support (other than upgrading drivers)....or had to "rely" on a "warranty".....sorry...if I have a system built whether the parts are covered or not ...I go to buddy that builds the system...."fix it"....hahahaha

I think warranties are a huge selling feature for newbies and all the support that is needed is at your finger tips...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back