Silicon Power launches waterproof portable hard drive

By Jos
Apr 1, 2010
  1. If you are looking for something to carry your data around safely while you go on the harshest of environments, take a look at the new rugged Armor A70 portable drive from Silicon Power. The 139.45mm x 85.7mm x 18.1mm device is compliant with military standards IEC529 IPX7 and MIL-STD-810F 516.5, which means it'll be able to withstand drops, dust, pressure and even submersion in up to three feet of water for 30 minutes.

Read the whole story
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,551   +595

Whew! I was beginning to wonder how I could handle my storage while scuba diving. ;)
  3. Tizzlejack

Tizzlejack TS Rookie Posts: 26

Could also be advertised as soda-proof.
  4. Chazz

Chazz TS Evangelist Posts: 668   +72

"It features a useful slot on the side for the USB cable..."

What does that mean? Why wouldn't it have a slot for USB. Is this meant to be placed inside your computer?
  5. That means a useful slot to store the USB cable in while transporting the drive around, not a slot for actually plugging the cable in.
  6. Chazz

Chazz TS Evangelist Posts: 668   +72

ohh ok, that makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. Thanks
  7. maestromasada

maestromasada TS Rookie Posts: 92

Given the current climante change, this is a step forward for those living in flooded risk areas.
  8. IvanAwfulitch

IvanAwfulitch TS Booster Posts: 218   +11

^^^ I was actually going along the vein of if you took this and your laptop to the WC. "Oops I dropped it in the toilet!! Oh wait! It's ok because it's water proof for 30 minutes in 3 feet of water!"
  9. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,926   +185

Great for watercooled PC's if you have a leak :D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.