Silicon Power launches waterproof portable hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

If you are looking for something to carry your data around safely while you go on the harshest of environments, take a look at the new rugged Armor A70 portable drive from Silicon Power. The 139.45mm x 85.7mm x 18.1mm device is compliant with military standards IEC529 IPX7 and MIL-STD-810F 516.5, which means it'll be able to withstand drops, dust, pressure and even submersion in up to three feet of water for 30 minutes.

The Armor A70 runs at USB 2.0 speeds and can be had in black or red, with capacities ranging from 250GB to 640GB. It features a useful slot on the side for storing away the USB cable, and comes bundled with Silicon Power's SP Widget software for backups as well as a 60-day trial of Norton Internet Security. No availability or pricing details were announced, but looking at similar offerings from A-DATA and Hitachi we expect the 320GB version to sell for around $70-$80.

Permalink to story.

Whew! I was beginning to wonder how I could handle my storage while scuba diving. ;)

"It features a useful slot on the side for the USB cable..."

What does that mean? Why wouldn't it have a slot for USB. Is this meant to be placed inside your computer?

That means a useful slot to store the USB cable in while transporting the drive around, not a slot for actually plugging the cable in.

^^^ I was actually going along the vein of if you took this and your laptop to the WC. "Oops I dropped it in the toilet!! Oh wait! It's ok because it's water proof for 30 minutes in 3 feet of water!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back