Silverstone Fortress FT04 Review: Improving the Formula?

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/716-silverstone-fortress-ft04/]https://www.techspot.com/review/716-silverstone-fortress-ft04/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

I've been seeing a lot of negative reviews on this case, I think I'll give up on it.
TechSpot needs to expedite the review of new cases.

You know, im not too familiar with the Silverstone line of cases mostly because I don't know anyone who owns one and ive never heard too much from people about them. I was confused at first as I could not figure out what was so different at first glance of looking at the side window on this case until I realized the motherboard is mounted upside down and on the opposite side as a normal case.

Its an interesting design, though for that price, I feel there are better alternatives when comparing the features. Heck, I love the bitfenix Shinobi Cases (especially that High airflow edition).

Oh yeah. Foam inserts, and a glass window. Not a contradiction there at all

Kidding though, any effort in eliminating noise, is good. Foam is a good choice (remembers his Cosmos fondly), but high quality quiet fans are the best option. I have a Corsair 600T which isn't exactly known for it's silence, but have filled it with quiet fans, and now it's very quiet.

THIS is the kind of case I like, where things are visible from the right side of the case (video cards are upside down, but never was an issue for me, you get to see the pretty pictures stamped all over it).

Transverse mounted ATX cases. Had a Lian Li one time with Intel Q6550 and geforce somethingorother. Nothing but thermal problems.

Be wary of transverse mounted designs, and only use components tested in such a setup. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Silverstone makes great HTPC cases I own one.

However for desktop/workstation builds I usually look elsewhere.

. I was confused at first as I could not figure out what was so different at first glance of looking at the side window on this case until I realized the motherboard is mounted upside down and on the opposite side as a normal case..

Its called a BTX design ,thermaltake and others have provided kit for converting to BTX for years,I'm actually surprised ,its not seen more frequently,I have a thermaltake Kandalf,actually.2 of them which are convertible .my NVidia Edition CM stacker has a removable tray .I think is convertible as well.
the idea is to allow heat from gpu to rise into the HSF ,not sure if it helps temps though , have to ask the op.or find a review on the BTX design,comparing the different designs , Dell even put out a desk top .cookie cutter style in BTX...LMAO ,I spent quite a while at one of those dells ,until I finally figured out ,the other side came off.no window,no marks,cookiecutter,,

Back