SimCity will finally get offline single-player mode in upcoming update

By Russ Boswell
Jan 13, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Electronic Arts has announced that SimCity will include an offline mode with an upcoming game update. For anyone unfamiliar, the newest city creation title is currently "online only," forcing gamers to be connected to the internet and EA authentication servers...

Read more
  2. Mavrickx888

Mavrickx888 TS Enthusiast Posts: 64   +9

"Yayyyyyyy!" - Me if this were 9 months ago.
    psycros likes this.
  3. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Evangelist Posts: 602   +86

This might after all be worth buying. I'll be keeping an eye on the deals.
  4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

I think the phrase "A little tardy to the party" works well for this. Its good they are finally doing it, but the problem is that I have to use the word "finally".
    psycros likes this.
  5. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,525   +828

Theyve also said its not actually possible for them to make larger map sizes
    Therefore, I dont really
    psycros likes this.
  6. I don't know...SimCity 4 and SimCity 3000 still work for me.
  7. *Hit is weak son! That's all I have to say about that..
  8. Kevin82485

Kevin82485 TS Booster Posts: 159   +41

Offline mode combined with much larger maps and I would be all over it, but it's disappointing that they're keeping the tiny maps. Maybe if the mod community can tweak it to have larger maps then I'll be in.
    psycros likes this.
  9. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 632   +163

Maps are too small. It's not Sim City.

If they don't let you build a city then the game is pointless.
    psycros likes this.
  10. Coodu

Coodu TS Booster Posts: 173

Exactly what I was thinking, I played about 50 hours and then moved on. The expansion is pretty cool, solves a few issues, but yeah the city size just isn't epic enough for me.
  11. David T.

David T. TS Rookie

I seem to remember that EA claimed that offline play was impossible. It's seems that this comment was complete bullshit.
    psycros likes this.
  12. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Guru Posts: 548   +8

But I thought they said it would be impossible for them to do this, Sure it took em over 6 months but, proves they lied! Glad they have done this, so we may play the game in 10 years time, when the servers no longer work.
  13. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,294   +662

We already know that piracy doesn't affect the bottom line of major publishers like EA to any significant degree, because the biggest selling games are all primarily online experiences (shooters, sports, competitive RTS, etc). Yet they keep forcing the always-online, socially connected, cash store BS down our throats. Because its not about piracy and never was - its about monetizing every single mouse click. With every passing week I become more certain that every decent PC game from now on is going to come from the Kickstarter/indie community.
  14. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 503   +42

Everyone knew it was bull **** after people were able to create their own local versions of the game and even mod area sizes within a month of the game being released.