Simple Cooling Question!! Please Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dognapper0

I can't find the system temperature in my computer (it's a year old crapy custom dell that i recently got a dangerous heat warning in boot-up). Any help would be nice!

THere are several programs you can use to monitor temp, not sure which are best. I personally dont use one, never had any problems with high temps though. Once about every 3 months I will get the dust out from inside the case. Try a google search for a program. I think Everest will show system temps. Have you opened the case? You probably have a build up of dust on the heat sink etc....Also, have you checked in your Bios to see temp?

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7309,RSS,RSS,00.asp

You may want to try this, you must know what type of MoBo you have though.

Clean out all the dust from inside the PC. You might want to take off the heat sink and reapply the thermal grease.

Opps...

:eek: I don't have temperture sensors any where in there. my motherboard (cheep dell stock one) isnt equiped with any sensors any way. so something is whorting out like the empty spot i found for one. i even cleaned it out and reaplied the grease. worse yet i even formated my hard drive and found nothing else but i still get the error message. i think i just lose my $80 motherboard and pentium 4 with HT, which has done me wonders in LAN parties. i looked into other motherboards and discovered that mine is custom fit to my case. which sucks because that means that i'll need a new case to (im looking at the XG Viper2) any sugestions?

That´s typical with Dells....

Touch carefully the heatsink, and check if it´s too hot.

nothing

everything is the right temperature. i checked with my dad's cool handheld thermometer-like thing. its all running a little hot especially the procesor (82c). my ambient temp is 43c. not bad for only one fan in a hot little basement office. :hotbounce i sort of wonder how that wors with my procesor so hot and every thing else not so hot, but...

Ahhhh!!!!!

:hotbounce My computerjust cut out and smelled awful. i don't know what did it but it reeks in here now. my fan is purring like a 1950 disel engine (no muffler). it really is annoying. someone please help me!!!!!

It seems u've just lost ur trusty P4, ur mobo or both. 82C is wayyyy hot for a P4 with HT. So its probably ur CPU thats fried and most probably ur mobo is too.

its fine now. i turned on the air condidtioner and opened a window, not in that order, of course. it runs fine now i had a loose screw and it ended uo shorting out the fan. i live five minuits from a best but and got a new fan and plugged it in all the way to stop future shorts from occuring. it all runs now, AND i now have a thermal sensor in on the fan! nothing is on the CPU or the P4. i also have a better faster fan so the processor only runs at 60 now!! :approve: i still think that i need a new mother board/case though.

might as well buy a whole new comp then. Forget P4s, if you wanna reuse your RAM, go for AMD, they outperform just about any P4 that uses DDR RAM.

Thanks

I was already looking into a better AMD based computer and my P4 has been a hassle. In order to actully get it running with HT, i had to stop the fan. thats what my instruction booklet said to do. Dumb thing. I'm looking at the AMD Sempron 2800+ processor and deterients/ Sugestions?
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! oh. and im now running at 44c

If you don't need the power (only do wordprocessing, surf the net, no gaming, no video editing), sure, go with the sempron. Otherwise, I'd suggest getting something with a little more oomph....

The socket 939's are pretty nice, say the 3200. Its not much better going to the AM2s IMO. Not very good value for money at least.

And you can reuse your RAM if you want too (I'm assuming your old Dell uses DDR RAM).

Also, it'll help if you've got a budget we could work with.

i can waste about $400 on fans, a case, and a processor mobo combo. :p i also have an XG Viper 2 picked out with a 400w power suply. is that enough power for my new mother board five fans (including a CPU one), the case and two UV cathodes (which i hope it is)? if not i'll buy it at CompUSA so i can get a power source seperate. another thing is what power sources are nicer ones?

If the 400W PSU is a quality one, you should have no problems.
But if it is a cheap one, be ready to face some problems...

it has very positive reveiws and everyone i have talked to about it (a whole 4 people) love its constant power and that it is quiet. they also said the same thing you did CMH: if you only do word processing then it's a fine mobo. if you wan't more, get more. now im looking at a MSI K8 ATX Socket 754 Motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor Bundle, which does put me a little over budget. i also like this because of the reveiws it got.

Yes!!!

i found the problem with my comp!! it wasn't the mobo at all! it was my power supply! it had a termal sensor in it. that was what was sending the overheated messages and shuting my comp off. i first noticed this when i saw a little light inside when i had just turned off my comp for a quick clean. i never tought about it again until i noticed it went off when my comp shut down without directions after another heat message! this means that i finally can use my comp again, after i get that replaced. it also means i didn't lose my P4 or mother board. saving me a bundle with a new case. i also found that dell uses customized power plugs (not the standard 24 plug set up: ut had some wires different) which really made me sick. puke: it also meant that i had to replace my mobo/processor. then i found a footnote saying that dell 4700s and newer didn't need the special system then!! I was/am ecstatic!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back