TechSpot

Simple Laptop Question

By RRFish
Jan 30, 2007
  1. I'm limited in my knowledge of computer hardware, so before I make a purchase I wanted to bring a question to those who know the equipment better than the salesmen themselves.

To start, I'm a simple gamer. I have an obsession with World of Warcraft and Blizzard games, and my wife enjoys playing Sims 2.

I am getting to purchase a laptop while on a budget and right now I am eyeing the Dell Latitude 131L with the following specs:

Mem: 1GB DDR2 533 MHz SDRAM, 1 DIMM
    Vid: ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory™
    HD: 80GB HD (more than enough space)
    Optical Drive: 8X DVD+/-RW
    Wireless LAN: Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Dual-Band Mini Card

Will this video card smoothly run the above mentioned games and be practical for basic web surfing? (Also out of sick curiousity, do you think I could run Oblivion on this machine?)

Thanks in advance,

-RRFish

2. sw123

sw123 TS Rookie Posts: 595

Might run oblivion, probably not well though. Dont get HyperMemory btw, its just not any better. That laptop should play WoW and the Sims 2.

:)
    sw123

3. RRFish

RRFish TS Rookie Topic Starter

Unfortunately that is the only Video Card they offer.

4. sw123

sw123 TS Rookie Posts: 595

All right then, it should do :)

sw123(wanna now my real name? PM ME! :D)

5. twite

twite TechSpot Paladin Posts: 937

Whats your price range?

6. RRFish

Just about $1000. I'm going to be stationed in Japan soon and we are wanting to get a laptop with our tax refund. The further under in price the better. This one will cost us about $940.

7. twite

check this one out

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...uct_code=341653&Pn=Pavilion_dv6113us_Notebook

Maybe on low settings, and im not sure about smoothly. The laptop in the link has a better vid card.

Heres a 17" for under $1000

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...RW+NVIDIA+GeForce+Go+6100+NoteBook+%2D+Retail

8. RRFish

Twite,

Thank you so...so...so...so much! I completely forgot about Newegg.com. Years ago I ordered a video card from them which I installed on a computer I received from a school I was going to. I loved their service and their guarantee.

I am going to order this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834149046 from them. I think it will perform the job that I am wanting it to perform.

-RRFish

9. twite

No problem

By the way it has 2 hour battery life (normal for larger laptops), so just make sure you are ok with that. If you are using it at home it shouldn't be a problem as you can plug it in, but when traveling you may need to by a dc charger.

10. RRFish

That should be fine. Even when I take it on a ship I should be able to utilize a ready power source.

Now a question about the battery...is it possible to buy additional batteries and keep them charged. (No, I'm not too familiar with laptops.)

11. twite

You could buy an additional battery, charge the battery in the laptop, then take the battery out and use it as a spare. I am not sure how long it will retain its charge for, but I'm guessing long enough.

BTW, good luck with your deployment, and stay safe.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.