TechSpot

Simple Scenario - Solution?

By agi_shi
Aug 17, 2006
  1. This isn't true, but it might happen sometime in the future.

Say that you have a whole pc built and functional. You want to change your processor (type A) to something your old motherboard doesn't support. So you get a new motherboard that supports your new CPU (type B) and all your old parts.

You install the 2 new parts (mobo and cpu) and nothing runs. Doesn't start up. Nothing. So, you know that it is either your CPU or your motherboard.

But - how do you know exactly whether it is one or the other or both? Especially if you don't have a spare processor of the new type (type B).

(This might happen when I change my motherboard and CPU to a conroe setup, reusing my ram, hdd, gfx card, dvd, floppy, case, and powersupply).

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Take the new cpu to your local pc repair shop and have them test it for you. This should only cost a few dollars.

Regards Howard :)

3. agi_shi

agi_shi TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 385

Oh, so they can test it for me in one of their systems? That's cool, I didn't know they have that kind of service :). Would certainly make my life easier!

Thanks!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.