Sims 2 causes HP Pavilion xt963 to crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had my computer worked on and just got it back. it is a HP Pavilion xt963. i have only used the computer a little bit since i got it back, but it seemed to be working fine. Then i tried to install the sims 2. it started installing and went throught the whole installation process. all was good until i tried to play the game. my computer then shut off and started restarting. it would get to the first screen that said HP and then it goes to a black screen and wont do anymore. I have tried many different things to reset the computer off the HP website. it will get to the screen where you can select safe mode or the other options, but it wont go past that. does anyone know what happened or if it was even the sims game that might have caused it? i really dont want to spend more money on fixing my computer. is there anyway i can fix it on my own?

What was the problem that was worked on recently?

Also, list your PC's specifications. That would be a good starting point.

alexandra009 said:
it will get to the screen where you can select safe mode or the other options, but it wont go past that.
In that screen (if it's the one I'm thinking) you should be able to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure". That would at least give you time to write down the error causing the restarting.

does anyone know what happened or if it was even the sims game that might have caused it?
It's possible that the game's copy protection drivers are causing this, the aforementioned error message should reveal more.

the computer had been worked on because it kept restarting over and over and wouldnt the disk drive would pop in and out continously. im not sure of all he did to it, but i know the disk drive was replaced. he alsot took off our internet connection and told us that it was overloading the computer. could it be that there the computer just cant handle the sims game? and im also not very sure about the specifications of the computer.

It is likely the problem is your PC does not meet the minimum system requirements of the game. I checked the internet and found a specification for your PC. If it is the same as yours, your RAM (at 128MB) is only half of the minimum required. Also, your integrated graphics is likely not supported by the game. The game requires Transform and Lighting and very few integrated graphics solutions support that. Your processor is a Celeron 1.2 GHz. Celerons are not really made for gaming. The Sims 2 game requirements state that if your graphics "card" does not support T & L, it should have a 2.0 GHz processor.

So basically your PC should not be able to run Sims 2. In fact, it is not a gaming PC at all save for a few simple games perhaps.

To confirm or correct the specifications I found on the internet, you can run a Dxdiag report. Go to Start > Run. In the Run box type the word dxdiag. A report will shortly be generated that will display most of your system specifications.

so is there anything i can do to reverse installing the game? i would like to be able to fix the computer myself and not take it to get fixed. any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back